1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Red dot with no red dots. Should I use it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BD457, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD457

BD457 Member

I found a bunch of powder and amount them is about 7lbs of Red Dot. I've never used Red Dot and not familular with its appearance. I was told it should have little red dots (just like the Green Dot). I couldn't see any obvious red dots so I poured some out on a white plate, spread it around and looked reeeaaaall close. What I saw was some dark purple dots, but I really had to look hard and they were almost the same color as the powder. The powder smells fine and it's in an origional container. Should I load some up at the lowest listed pressure and try it, or dump it?

Mike

2. warren

warren Member

The risk reward ratio in my opinion says dump it.

warren

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

It's in a Red Dot container and there is no Purple Dot, I would use it. The dots in the older Red Dot could be hard to see.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What kind of container is it in? Card board? Metal?

Even if it was Red Dot, there were two kinds of Red Dot through the ages. The older version required more powder than the newer version to make a given load........but even the old Red Dot had "red dots" as an identifier.

Since it's in a Red Dot container but no "red dots" are present, all that we really know is that it's not Red Dot.

DON'T USE IT WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT IT IS.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I had some Red and Green Dot that was 40 years old and the red and green flakes had faded to the point they were barley visible. It loaded up just fine. However, I knew they were in fact Red and Green Dot.

When in doubt, throw it out.....Makes an excellent fertilizer.

Wayne

6. Rooksd1

Rooksd1 Member

I bought some red dot in the card board drum, it has very little sign of red dotts. I am not sure how old it is. I loaded some up and it shoots as good as the new if not better. I had to change bushings to get the right charge.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Unless the container was sealed, I'd consign it to history.

I remember a mechanic who took a big swig from a Coke bottle that had just been used to bleed brakes... yup... brake fluid, not Coke.

Keller

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If he loaded up a few shells to test the powder and the powder was bad, what terrible thing would happen? HMB

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The picture of the powder shows very light pink dots and this powder is 45 + years old. When compared to 20 year old powder, the older powder is a light greenish color compared to 20 year old batch from the coadboard containers that is dark gray and still has bright red dots.
    toolmaker251_2008_0303128.jpg

toolmaker251_2008_0303129.jpg

10. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"If he loaded up a few shells to test the powder and the powder was bad, what terrible thing would happen?"</I></blockquote>It ain't whether the powder is bad; it's whether or not it's in the original container.

If the container is already open but you can't identify what's in it, you'd be a fool to drink it (get the meaning??)

Keller

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Like I said what terrible thing would happen? Get my meaning?? HMB

12. willing

willing Member

+1 with HMB.
    Bill

13. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You could shoot your eye out! Mark

14. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Lets make this easy.

NO.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If it was me, I would probably use the stuff - but that really isn't something I would advise anyone else to do.

16. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Like I said what terrible thing would happen? Get my meaning??"</i></blockquote>I think you ought to volunteer to try it first and report back.

Keller

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If you loaded that powder using assumed red dot recipes and the powder actually was green dot, blue dot, or unique you would never be in danger due to the faster burn rate of red dot over the mentioned powders.

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The #31 MEC bushing For Red Dot try it and see how it shoots, like load 5 shells.

The old Red Dot was Grey like the picture, The new Red Dot is darker almost Black w/Red Dots.

If it shot like a 2 3/4 dram load go ahead and use it, that small of a bushing is not going to blow the gun up uless it is Real Fine Ball Powder Like Winchester Super Light, but the look of the powder is obvious, very,very small
    particles, I just loaded up the very last of my Winchester Super Light in 1 ounce loads 21.5 grains of WSL and 1 Ounce #8s.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. Unknown1

...and suppose it's something entirely different...not a "dot" at all?

Keller

20. BD457

BD457 Member

It looks very simular to Toolmakers picture above. The powder has gray flakes, darker flakes and a few brown/purple flakes. It's like a three color powder with all the flakes being the same size. The container is cardboard.

I'm thinking I'll make some plants happy and keep my wife from collecting on any insurance policies she may have taken out on me. For all I know, this is somebodys "spilled powder" container and is actually a fatal blend of powders.

@ HMB: "Detonation?" ;-)

Thanks all,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.