1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Question: Steel Base; Stuck Shell

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

My single barrel trapgun began to give a little trouble not "digesting" steel base shells, the promo kind. It handled everything just fine in the past, but now gives trouble on the cheapest Winchester stuff. Didn't in the past. Is this an issue of smoothness in the chamber, cleanliness in chamber, karma, trap god picking on me, or is there a magic potion to put in the chamber now and then?

My trapgun is a U.S.-made single barrel trapgun with extractor only.

Thanks, I note that this is a common problem. I have three flats left of that steel based stuff to use in practice. If somebody knows and shares the answer, that somebody will be a hero in my book.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would try polishing the chamber with some 4o steel wool. Cant hurt. Hope it helps.

3. rrose

rrose TS Member

This has been gone over a few times in the past. I think the solution that actually works is the chamber needs to be a little smaller and the Gun Dr, Doug Braker can drill out the chamber and insall a sleeve then the steel hulls do not jam. I think Ljutic may also do this but I am pretty sure it was Doug that offered the fix. If I remember right it is not all that expensive to fix.
    I had one last year and had the chamber polished but that did not work on mine it still would jam with Gun Club hulls. I have about 7,000 gun club hulls so I was not happy that my gun would not work with them.
    Good luck. randy

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Not all steel base shells expand equally. Federal Top Gun and Estates work fine in my gun. The Winchester, Remington and Spanish imports will not work well in my gun. I would not be surprised if the discount shell manufacturers change the steel in the bases now and then. This could result in a brand that worked for some time no longer working. We cannot expect to get a top quality shell for a discount price.

Pat Ireland

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

My Ljutic doesn`t eject any steel base shell so my solution was not to use them ever again . I only use reloaded STS`s and never have a problem . I shoot the Gun Clubs in all the other guns without a hang-up . One thing we noticed lately are a lot of new Rem Gun Club bases being pulled off the hulls so with that in mind I may never reload any once fired Gun Club hulls . Can`t be too carefull . Just takes one bad mistake . I`m just wondering what became of all the plastic hulls that this has happened too . Only found one on the ground ?? Cheap shells are just that , cheap shells

6. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

I have a Ljutic. Bought 8 boxes of Rio's to try and make sure they would not stick in the gun. Every one ejected perfectly. Bought 45 cases and almost every shell sticks. My son has been shooting them in his Remington 1100's and 870's, nothing sticks in those work horses. Gun Clubs, Topguns, and Estates work fine, just not the imported ones. I can't see working on a $7,000 gun so I can shoot cheap-a$$ shells.

Tomas

7. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Just for giggles, has anybody measured the chambers in the guns that stick and those that do not? Wonder what the dimensional difference is? I am almost positive that a Gun Club or a Spanish made shell dosent know what it's beeing shot in.

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I would really like to know the answer to this problem. Some say the shells stick because the chamber is too small, others say it is because the chamber is too big. If it is because the chamber is too small, why isn't the chamber made bigger. What would be the advantage of a smaller chamber? An expensive gun shouldn't have this problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.