1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Primers??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by eric, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

I recently came across some old shotshell primers and wondering if they can be substituted for 209's. They are CCI 157, Remington 97 and Federal 399 - anyone give me some advise?

Eric

2. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook 4th Edition, states that the Rem 97* can be substituted for the Rem 209P.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

NO they dont interchange The 57 and 197 are different size

4. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Still somewhat confused - The CCI 157's and Federal 399's. Are they useable substitute for 209's or are they trash?

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

The CCI 157 are a smaller primer than the normal 209 size. They were designed to be used in the cases that Remington and Peters, maybe others, manufactured at one time, that used a primer that was slightly smaller in diameter than the 209 size. Therefore, they are not interchangeable with the 209 using normal loading proceedures.

If I can find any information on the Federeal 399 primers in my old loading data I will post the information. If you cannot find published loading data for the primers you have, then the safe, and wise, thing to do is not use them.

6. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

If you happen to have access to the Lyman shotshell Handbook, 2nd Edition, there is some information using Federal 399 primers in 1 oz. and 1-1/8th oz trap loads using Federal Champion II cases and Federal paper cases and various powders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.