1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Primers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gjmen, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

A freind of mine is cleaning out his basement and found some reloading supplies. He said come and get it. I know when powder goes bad it starts smelling funny, what about primers? Also would the wads become undesirable? We are guessing the components are about 15 yrs old. Any help would be great. Thanks, gjmen

2. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Dry and reasonable storage temperature should not have affected the components .

Generally speaking the wads are the most susceptible to damage -- primarily from UV and/or high temperatures . Since that scenario is doubtful , load a few and see how they perform .

I'm betting they will go bang .

Charlie

3. Gil

Gil Member

gimen, I am using primers from the 1960s. The all seem to be OK. I do not use them in registered events but for club shoots they are fine. So far I have used Alcan, Winchester and Remington primers. I have some Federal but they are down the line for use. The Remingtons are .207 so they may be newer. The friend I got the primers from died long after he quit reloading. I miss him and think of him when I reload. I also remember him from duck hunting but that is not the subject of your question. Use them as if they were new. George Miller

4. Model12SuperPigeon

Model12SuperPigeon TS Member

I recently found a brick of primers that had been in my basement when it was flooded several years back. They had been completely under water. Although they are somewhat corroded, believe it or not, they still work fine! I've loaded and fired several hundred so far with no problems.

Tim

5. johnpe

johnpe Member

Just finished loading some 8k 20 year old primers I got with a bunch of old shot, wads and powder. Almost all have been shot and all worked well. I have some very old non-standard primers on hand and whenever I use them, they still work.

6. gjmen

gjmen Member

Thanks everyone, sounds like they will go bang. And free bangs are even better. gjmen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.