1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old primers still good ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jfan517, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfan517

jfan517 Member

I have some old CCI primers that I acquired when I purchased my reloader. I'm guessing these primers are at least 15 - 20 years old. Are they still good? If not what's the best way to dispose of them ?

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Loadem up and shoot some practice. After a brother's death, I was given some reloads in Fed. paper shells, 700X, and WW primers that I assembled in the 1970s for his fun shooting on private land. I took those 6 boxes to the club, they all fired, and I broke every bird I properly pointed at - not one misfire or bloop!

3. oldstuff

oldstuff Member

I totally agree. I quit shooting for 8 years--left the reloads sit. Took them out a shot them with out a blooper. If you have quite a few primers--do a randon sampling and just reload the the samples. It will give you a general idea if they are going to work. Ron

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

So long is they were stored in a dry, cool, dark place, there won't be any problems whatsoever. Its when people store them improperly that you get into trouble. Since you don't know the history behind their storage, its really a totoal crap shoot. I'd load them 100 at a time, and shoot them until their gone or you have issues, that way your risk isn't that great if they are no good.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just load a couple of them into hulls and take outside and fire. If flames come out the end of the barrel, all is good. Don't go to the trouble of completely loading a few shells just to find out the primers have drawn damp.

ss

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Deleted my post as i basically repeated what SS said.

Matt

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"If flames come out the end of the barrel" What brand of primer will send flames out the end of the barrel? I've never shot, seen, or heard of any primer that would do this.

8. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

the only thing that will kill a primer is petroleum.

buz

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If they are the "Trap and Skeet" primers made by CCI years ago they are not coated. They were not made to have a long shelf life because Trap and Skeet shooters go through a lot of components pretty fast. CCI made them and sold them cheaper which was a good idea but they forgot what hoarders we are. After a number of complaints they took them off the market.

I would try a few and not load up to many until you see if they work.

Ajax

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

skeet_man,

They throw a fair bit of fire. Just give it a try and you'll see what I'm talking about. It works really good at night.

ss

11. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

My dad had about 5K old primers ; Fed 209 & Rem97. I have been using them for practice loads; 1 1/8 oz w/ Green Dot.

They all have gone bang so far but they have not performed so well when it was cold. A few off sounding ones. I've got about 1K of the Federal ones left.

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If they are CCI 109's they have no coating but 209's of that era will.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I have just used some Alcan Max-Fire 220s that I bought in the 1960s (forgot I had them)& they worked just like the day I bought them. They will send fire out the end of the bbl. Ross Puls

14. Ted

Ted TS Member

A friend gave me 2000 cci 209 primers that have been stored in his hot Arizona garage for 30 years. I have loaded half of them with NO problems. They all worked great. Ted

15. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I was given several hundred old CCI 209's from the early seventies. Not sure how they were stored over the years, but I won't use them anymore. Most worked fine, but after firing the shells they really smelled bad. Biggest problem was 3 or 4 that were bloopers where a lot of flame came out the end of the barrel. Cost me 3 or 4 league targets, I'll blame it on the bloopers!

On the other hand, when I got back into shooting, I had several pounds of Red Dot that had sat around for over 20 years and it all worked fine.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm still using rifle primers that I hoarded up during the big 'shortage' of during Clinton years. They are as good as new. Funny but the shortage was largely due to hoarders such as myself.

I'm sure your CCI shotgun primers are just as good assuming they haven't been exposed to a bunch of extreme humidity cycles. Load em and try em.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

will 30 year old federel shotgun primers still work

how do i know if old primers are still good

if primer has separated still good

old shotgun primers