1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by G-12, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-12

G-12 TS Member

A friend has given up reloading 12 gauge shells for trap and passed along his Accurate Nitro 100 powder and Hercules 2400 smokeless powder to me,. I asked when he bought this stuff and he said about ten years ago. My question is would this powder still be useable, reliable and safe? Thanks, Ben

2. three-reloaders

three-reloaders TS Member

Still good. I have used powder that was over 10 years. Just needs to be cool and dry.

3. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

During the 80's and 90's, THE best rifle powder in a 6PPC were two certain lots of 50 year old military surplus Hodgden 322. Thunderbird Cartridge in Phoenix owned them. I bought many 8lb jugs at $59.00 each. When I quit rifles in 2000, the going price was $120.00 to $140.00 per jug, IF you could find any.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've used and still have surplus powders from the WWII era. As long as it is stored properly, it should last quite a long time. Check it for discoloration and abnormal odor and if it looks and smells OK, use it without hesitation. Just be sure to use the proper loading data since some of these old powders are discontinued. Also be sure it's properly identified. Many powders have similar names.

5. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I too came across a couple of pounds of PB that I used to use in the '70s. It had been dry and cool and smelled OK so I used it. Worked like it did 30 years ago! Use it up.

Steve

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Stored correctly, should be fine.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ten year old powder is fresh. Fifty year old powder is good. One hundred year old powder is very collectible.

Pat Ireland

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I have some old H4831 that came in a 25 lb cardboard keg. It must be close to 70 years old that still works in AI 30-06. Seems to work ok. Ben

9. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Ben, you only got one valid answer to your question. Here is another. Since you don't know the history of the storage...there's an easy way to tell if the powder's still good. Smell of it. If it smells neutral to sweet like ether...use it. If it smells sour or like vinegar...put it on your garden, it's a great fertilizer.

Buz

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

FarmerD, that sure sounds like old H4831 bulk? One of my all time favorites for .30 cal. rifles! I'm down to a few 1# cans and hate to waste it shooting paper Xs. Good for you guy!! Hap

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

There's only ONE way to check the quality of old powder! Pour it all out into a plie[outside, of course]. Then get a long match stick,strike it, and put it to the powder. If it burns OK then you can use it! Hope this helps!

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've used older powder than that. Some 20 year old 7625, just finished it off.

13. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, I aquired a half full 12 pound keg of Hercules Red Dot dated 4-1965. It was in a red steel drum. I actually bought it for the container but decided to try to load some of it. It shot great. Wound up loading it all. If you store it properly it will keep for a long time.

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shot some 20+ year old Red Dot without problems except residue. I have never heard of powder gaining energy over age. If it has been well sealed and smells ok it probably is.

15. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Went right over the heads Huh? God, thats what I like about this site. There so few to talk with!

16. Dave P

Well Hip: Please splain yourself. I hate sieways or backend comments that mean nothing!

17. Dave P

Well Hip: Please splain yourself. I hate sieways or backend comments that mean nothing!

18. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Dave ..sweetheart...it was a JOKE! You know...JOKE!.....If you burn it all up to see if its still good....you find out, but you don't have any left to use! Geez!

19. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Hipshot, I don't believe it flew over any heads. It was just to stupid to comment about, like most of your absurd statements. What an idiot. Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.