1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

old model BT 99 high shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hangover, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangover

hangover Member

How can you tell if a old model BT 99 is a high shooter or not. I thought you could check the serial number to determine this? Does anyone know?

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

These would have the letters "RP". "RR," "RN" in the middle of the serial number. JM

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Pattern board and a few shots should tell you better than a serial number.

Matt

4. new loader

new loader Member

Does anybody have true facts on "high-shooters" or is this all folklore? Where is the documentation?

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

You can take someones word for it, but not everyone shoots the same, holds the same or reaction time. Putting it on paper is the only way to tell where a gun will shoot for you.

My coach told me 1 time absolutely not 1 more excuse better come out of my mouth till I shot my gun on paper 3 times.

After 3 shots on paper and adjusting my comb did the gun shoot where I wanted it to.

Jerry Lewis

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

In 1976 Browning came out with the BT-99 Competition with the higher rib, Monte-Carlo stock, and fatter forend compared to the beavertail BT-99s of the early 70's. American Shotgunner Magazine had a feature article that explained that the Competition model was designed to shoot 10 inches high at 40 yards. After 2 years Browning lowered the POI by popular request for the 'average' shooter. A friend of mine ran 300 straight in Singles and earned the 27 with his high shootin BT-99 even though some people said it shot too high.

7. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Go to EBAY and search on BT-99. You may find an actual catalogue ad page for your model year BT-99. There is one on EBAY now for a *1979 ...and I quote the ad ... "at 40 yds the BT-99 is designed to impact 9", nominally, above the aiming point when using a stacked beads, figure 8 sight picture". The ad also says this is a "competition grade" gun and comes with a M/C stock and wider, competition-style forearm. I have a 1979 BT-99 ... but I have a conventional stock. So, maybe my gun isnt a competition grade. Mine shoots about 6-8" high at 36 yds with beads stacked.

* the EBAY lsiting describes the ad as 1979 .... but there is an insignia in the ad that describes the Browning "centennial" 1878-1978 .. so who knows. Maybe it is really a 1978 catalogue ad.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have owned RP's and RN's and they are high shooters, not sure about the RR

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I've had a couple "RN's" myself. Ohh guns? My bad.

Matt

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

What makes them shoot higher than other guns? Is it just the stock configuration?

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The rib!

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt 99 centennial