1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

old model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trail, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trail

Trail Active Member

I hope I didn't just buy a pig in a poke....

Just picked up a nice model 12 trap for my son. The gun is beautiful and in nice shape. However, after having bought it I checked the age of the gun via the serial number (271xxx). It looks like it was made in 1922. I had intended this to be his trap gun, so it'll see a lot of rounds. I'd like some thoughts on whether a model 12 that old can hold up to weekend trap and modern shells.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Trail

2. Trail

Trail Active Member

I hope I didn't just buy a pig in a poke....

Just picked up a nice model 12 trap for my son. The gun is beautiful and in nice shape. However, after having bought it I checked the age of the gun via the serial number (271xxx). It looks like it was made in 1922. I had intended this to be his trap gun, so it'll see a lot of rounds. I'd like some thoughts on whether a model 12 that old can hold up to weekend trap and modern shells.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Trail

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Does the gun seem tight? Have you taken the Bbl off the reciever yet? Does the Bbl go on at 90Degree angle, if so the take up notches have not been adjusted.

A knowledgable older shooter that shot a Model 12 can look it over for you.

This gun in good shape will last tens of thousands rounds.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

With proper care and maintenance, it's possible your grandsons may compete with it as well as your son!! It will handle trap loads all day every day!

Hap

5. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Trail.....The reason Winchester quit building Model 12's was because the supply caught up with the demand that will probably last another 100 years. Take care of it and your great grandson will be shooting it.

Jere

6. Mapper

Mapper Member

Mine is 278k. Just shot it last week. I don't shoot it much because I can't hit anything with it, or anything else much, but I am really bad with it. If it's tight, it will be OK.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

That's no pig by any means Trail. Mine is from 27 if I remember correctly. Shot it well for years, now it only gets out a couple of times a year. Great gun, non better for the money. Shoot it well in good health, Bob

8. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

flincher,

I think Herb Orre is deceased...

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Trail,

There are quite a few gunsmiths around the country that know how to tune-up M 12's properly. If you live anywhere in the midwest, I'd send it to Stu Wright and have his expert eyes give it the once over.

I really don't know if it is possible to shoot out a properly maintained M 12!

ss

10. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

I've got a 1913 made 20 ga. that I shoot skeet with- don't sweat the small stuff, if it's tight in the middle shoot it! If it's not check the adjusting sleeve to see if it can be "adjusted". Your local "M12 guy"(most clubs have got one or more floating around)can show you how. If it's all the way out send it to Stu Wright or Simmons, they can fix it. One thing no one has mentioned- don't take it apart any more than necessary as it seems to wear out the adjusting sleeve faster.

Larry

11. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Listen to short shucker....
    Even if is that badly worn a chamber ring and or a bolt [doubtful if needed]
    will get this old girl into shape.
    You will wear out a truckload of reloaders before one of these shotguns. IMO

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Trail, The first thing I would do with an older Mod 12 before firing it is to be sure the chamber has been reamed out to accept 2-3/4" ammo. I believe that ammo of that year was 2-5/8". The next thing I would do would be to call Stu Wright (618)357-8933. As far as I am concerned he is THE expert on mod 12s. I have had him work on my mod 12s and also my Wife's mod 12. We have always been satisfied with his work. Larry Evans

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

All 12 gauge Model 12s were built with 2 3/4 chambers except the Heavy Duck model that was built with a 3" chamber. No need to check the chamber length, just the condition of the bolt and chamber ring adjustments.

14. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

3 model 12's my wish is to live long enough to wear one out!! Stu Wright is the model 12 man of choice he worked for Herb Orre way back when and was taught by Herb who was a Ex Winchester employee who went out on his own. Trail you did good you just purchased a family heirloom tell you son never to sell or trade it as over the years model 12's become specially first trap guns. As you can guess my first was a Model 12 the sad part is my sons don't like to shoot tennis and running are their games and I'm happy for them but wished they shot a little. Two old friends one solid rib other 3in conversion
    Buddy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Trail

Trail Active Member

Thank you to all for you help with this.

We checked for tightness as suggested and went out and shot! My son (he's 13, but as big as I am) shot a 19 & 18 and he's pretty happy. Gun works great and he likes the tight choke...those kids like the "ink spot" you know!

I had a couple of local "12" shooters look the gun over and they thought we did very well with the purchase. The little guy (not so little) is happy and that's what counts...

Thank you again!

Trail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.