1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Model 12 trap built up on 3 inch gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OLD ONE EYE, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Saw a picture of Haps old model 12 with out a rib and it reminded me of the good old days when you built up your own gun. It was a lot of fun back then and you worked with what was available at the time. This is a 3 inch with a Hearters rib a aftermarket Duck bill and Paul Graff custom wood. I should have stopped here as it is all I ever needed still shoot it today on fun days. 40 years later I still have the gun disease and I am waiting for the antidote and so is my Wife. Buddy
    oldoneeye_2008_030350.jpg

oldoneeye_2008_030351.jpg

oldoneeye_2008_030352.jpg

oldoneeye_2008_030353.jpg

oldoneeye_2008_030354.jpg

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Very nice!

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You did a great job on your 3 incher Buddy, looks great!

The old squirrel gun I have shoots extremely good at long yardages but it's butt uglie on the trap range! I wear plugs and muffs today because of what people would say as they walked along the walkway behind the 27. It took a while to learn how not to pay attention and the muffs helped a lot.

I also have a built-up 3 inch 30 inch full gun similar to your's, and a 32 inch full plain barrel. Neither of those 2 can shoot long yardage patterns like the old squirrel gun does though.

Hap

4. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

Let me tell you now, you can't beat those old Model 12 barrels.

A week ago out at the Martinez Gun Club we had a 50 target wobble shoot with dinner. I knew I'd be shooting around the time the sun was going down and that conditions would be less than optimal, so I brought the Model 12. All I had to do was hold for the low targets and take my time for the rest.

After the first 25, the puller asked if I had an extra full choke as I was smacking them way out there. I told him it was a "trade secret", but that the refinery (about a mile away) had asked me to let them know when I was shooting.

One ounce of 7 1/2 Nitro 27's was working well that night. It would break them all the way to the ground. The ones I missed were to me not seeing the target well and making a bad move.

I wouldn't trade that gun for anything!

-Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.