1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old men respect, Lonesome Dove

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by neofight, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neofight

neofight TS Member

Thought you guys might like this, just in case you missed the series........

2. esetter

esetter Active Member

The best western of all time!

3. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

I'll second that !!
    Jim

4. avery53

avery53 Member

Robert Duval, an American treasure! Great movie.

5. neofight

neofight TS Member

I just put the series on my que at Netflix, couldn't help myself.I never did see the re-make, may do that as well.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

This just makes it easier to see.

<embed wmode="opaque" src="http://static.ning.com/socialnetworkmain/widgets/video/flvplayer/flvplayer.swf?v=201101071929" FlashVars="config=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.firefighternation.com%2Fvideo%2Fvideo%2FshowPlayerConfig%3Fid%3D889755%253AVideo%253A1088035%26ck%3D-&video_smoothing=on&autoplay=off&hideShareLink=1&isEmbedCode=1" width="456" height="344" bgColor="#DFE7EA" scale="noscale" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"> </embed> <br /><small>Find more videos like this on <em>Firefighter Nation</em></small><br />

Great Western

Bob Lawless

7. wm rike

wm rike Member

Gus didn't just put the muzzle of the Walker in the barkeeps face, he had the hammer back. A no-nonsense kind of guy.

8. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

+1.

What a mini-series, and yes, probably the best western of all time. The University of Texas Press released a book, The Trail Drivers of Texas, which is where a lot of Lonesome Dove orginated from - great read by the way. Anyway, Larry McMurtry brought forth a lot of the stories in this book. On the front cover, it's a cattle drive coming over a rise and the lead cowboy is Deek - yes, black man, riding a white horse. As you move further through the book, there he is, photo and all, Jake Spoons. The trail drives from Texas to Ogallala were the real deal. What stood-out more than anything was when the Indians were starving and the trail drivers had to pay a toll-tax to cross a specific Indian Territory, the braves would take some cattle and kill them on the spot and while they were gutting the cattle, the squaws would be eating the guts - raw.

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

That is a great western and I couldn't wait to watch the next episode. If you guys haven't read the book try to find a copy. It's the best book I ever read. You will find out why Gus cut his horses throat when he was being chased by that band of cuthroats and Blue Duck. I'll leave that up to you to read in the book. I couldn't put it down. You won't be sorry you bought it. Dan

10. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Don't let your "pod" shrivel!!

Rod

11. The Stive

The Stive Member

I read the book before I saw the series. I liked the book so well that I just had to watch the series. I have the entire series on DVD, 6 hours long.I have also read Larry McMurtry's prequel and the sequel to Lonesome Dove. They made
    those books into a mini series as well. I really liked Comanche Moon. John

12. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

It was on a few weeks ago & I watched all the episodes that day. Recorded them to my DVR.
    Duvall is a brilliant actor. A little tidbit about Duval is he's an avid flyfisherman.

i_shoot

13. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

For those of you that do not know Robert Duvall is General Robert E. Lee's great great grandson. Bulge.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I make time to watch Lonesome dove in it's entirety at least once per year. Most recently was the week after christmas at a little cabin we rented. We had a couple of days of blizzard conditions and I really enjoyed sitting by the wood burner watching my favorite western.

I'll agree that Gus (Robert Duvall) was the most interesting charcter but Tommy Lee Jones did a great job with Woodrow Call's part also. Gus was a hard man but Woodrow was probably too hard.

15. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Duvall and Jones made quite a pair in that series. Duvall was in fine character in Second Hand Lions. Its hard to believe his first film was back in 1962 playing Boo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird.

John E.

16. FIB

FIB Member

Makes me want to have a "poke" with Lori!

17. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

Tommy Lee Green aka Captain Call....I won't tolerate a man with rude behavior.

Great western movie. Larry McMurtry is a great story teller and writer.....he also owns one heck of a book store out in West Texas....can't recall the town name now.

18. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Two of my favorite actors! Great western.

19. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

My favorite scene is when Gus is riding across what appears to empty plains when bullets start landing all around him and his horse starts to crow-hop --- and what follows.

20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Dan---I see you liked the Lonesom Dove---You remind me of the bar tender---Lucky we have a constitution---you know, the one the libs would like to amend and change to suit their ways---Without that constitution your Axx might be red meat---You can always change you know then you'd be in the 95%---We have room for one more----gL---SJB---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gus mccall lonesome dove shrivel your pod

lonesome dove respect video

old man in lonesome dove