1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old man eyes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Cooper, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

Once I hit 42 my vision started to deteriorate, at first it was just the close up stuff but over the past few years my overall vision has also gotten worse. Eye doc says it's nothing to worry about, just typical age related deterioration. So in regards to shooting I just can't focus on the target as quickly as before. The problem is my brain is still operating on the same timing as when my eyes were young. If I try and slow down my timing I flinch like I'm having a seizure! The best I can do is hold a lower gun when I call for the target which gives my eyes a little more time to find the bird. I am curious as to how other people have learned to deal with ageing eyes. Cooper

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I do just as you do, hold lower (below the lip of the house) so I can see the bird more clearly. Then don't move until you can see the bird well. Some days that may be right out of the house. Others, it may be 20' out. If you wait until you see it clearly, your move will be directly to it. If you move before you see it clearly, your barrel will wander because you thought it was here, no there, oh crap.

Believe it or not, if you wait to see the bird clearly before you move, you will actually take it closer than if you are wandering around chasing a streak.

3. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Lens color becomes very important. Glare, too.

4. COLOKOLAR

COLOKOLAR TS Member

Cooper

I too have gone through the same problem to some degree....[or at least its the current excuse]!!....... I adopted the "Gun Holds" pictures by Forsbach & White.
    [They were posted on here long ago.] With study, adherence and practice my seeing of the target has improved.
    By the way --I have bought darn near every color of lens offered plus tryed those
    Hi Def things--sometimes my regular old clear glasses work as good as if not better than anything else.
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.