1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old K32 Stock Refinishing Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Paper Skeet, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paper Skeet

Paper Skeet Member

I bought an older K32 (serial number 8xxx). It is probably early or mid-'60s vintage. It is not pristine. I will get it reblued by Krieghoff in the future. The forearm is pretty good. The stock has had a Gracoil and soft comb added. The material on the soft comb is starting to crack on the side opposite my cheek.

Does anyone know anybody that can refinish this stock and forearm in the old awful Krieghoff cherry red? How about the soft comb? I would like to replace it with wood.

I know I can get a K80 stock and forearm, or even a PFS, but I an drawn to the old color stock.

Jack

2. Paper Skeet

Paper Skeet Member

Ok, I found the Barrelbulge thread on refinishing a K32. Looks like the red is really hard to get off. The least I need to do is get the soft comb repaired. I'm thinking Tron could probably replace the cover during the winter. He might even be able to make a hard comb in gloss black that should look nice on the gun. Beyond that, it might be best to send the stock to Krieghoff when I get it reblued for repair.

Jack

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just purchase one already refinished or brown

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

The red color is probably an Aniline Dye. You won't be able to remove it easily, but you can remove the top coat of finish, sand the stock, steam out the dents, and fill and sand any deep scratches. Then you can dye the stock again with the same color dye. Then shoot your finish or hand rub your oil finish which ever you're going to do.

Before you do anything to the stock take it to a Sherwin Williams regional dealer or distributor and have them make you up a color matching dye. Take a small artists brush and dye only the new filler in the scratches, and any other light spots first and let it dry. Then you can redye the entire stock and the repair work will blend in. Let it dry, apply a coat of sealer and when dry, sand it our with 320 or 400 grit paper. Wipe off the stock with a clean lint free cotton cloth and apply your finish.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

krieghoff refinish stock

krieghoff stock refinishing

refinish red k 32 krieghoff