1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old gun question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by geedubya55, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geedubya55

geedubya55 TS Member

About a year and a half ago I bought my son a Rem 870 Express, and we've had a blast (pun intended) shooting clays on our property. Haven't yet gone to a club, but as we get better, it's on the agenda. My question - I shoot my Grandpa's old gun, a Winchester Model 12. From serial numbers, it was made in mid 1920s. While looking at new guns, the sales guy said I probably shouldn't be shooting such an old gun. Is this dangerous and should I get going on buying myself a new gun? Bore is clean, and I don't see any pitting. No rust.

George

2. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Find a new salesman this one is not to be trusted. Mod 12 are great guns. He could not tell you a mod 12 was not safe without seeing that was in bad repair.Just my 2 cents worth. Tom

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Be careful George, those are some great guns. Wouldn't hurt to have a competent gunsmith look at it, but I can't imagine too much wrong. Get out to a club with your Son and have some fun. Good luck and enjoy, Bob

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Unless your grandfather really abused it or shot half a million shells (both highly unlikely) plus you say your shooting it in your back yard now, it is most likely just fine. Still a good idea to have a good gunsmith look at it. Those mod.12s were (are) one of the best ever built. get it checked out & enjoy it.--Ross Puls

5. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Hey George, Run as fast as you can away from That guy(salesman)to a good gunsmith or trusted friend that knows about M12's .I think that M12 of Gramp is just fine. Very hard to wear one out and Very easy to get parts if you do need them.NU-Line in MO. is a GREAT source and Great people to deal with. Get out to a club and ENJOY ThE time with your son...Most important !!

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The salesman was correct! You could be in great danger, just send that hunk of junk to me and don't delay people in your area could be hurt! LOL the guy is jerk to say something like that.

7. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Did mod 12's ever have short chambers?? 2 1/2 or 2 9/16 I know some old guns did.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Yes they did, but most have been recut to modern dimensions.

I'll go out on a limb here and say the metal in that nearly 100 year old Winchester is better than what is found in 99% of todays guns. Just have a good 'smith give her a tune-up and she'll be good for another 100 years!

ss

9. geedubya55

geedubya55 TS Member

Thanks to all. I did take the gun to a local shop, Barnwood Arms. Paul the gunsmith gave it an all OK, and photocopied some pages on breakdown and cleaning for my use. Only "problem" was I spied a CZ .17HMR that I think I have to buy now.

George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.