1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

old days

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smifshot, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

Anyone here remember the "old days"? Remember when 23 grains of Reddot was the standard 3 dr target load? The best reloading book you had was the old Lyman book which had little information? The best primer to use was whatever you had on hand that would burn the powder? The fiber and cardboard wads and wad pressure was 60 pounds for fast burning powder? Federal hulls had lots more room that did Remington and Winchesters? Maybe having to drop some wax on the crimps? Switching to a slower powder like Herco to get a good 1 1/4 oz. hunting load that would turn a crow inside out? Using a "cone" as a crimp starter? Bars with holes for both powder and shot....no bushings? SAving spent primers because someone said there would be a tool out soon that would let you
    replace the center (never did see one)? Had no worrins about the shot deforming while going thru the barrel? Had never heard of a barrel bursting due a "hot" reload? Remembering when HiScore 700x hit the market? Wow...what a time it was............Stroker

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

.035 nitro cards, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 fiber wads. Quick serts, then came the plastic wads and no one told us that we were to cut the powder charge when using them. No magnum, only chilled shot. B cards for use with roll crimps. I had a friend who used to recharge his primers and pick up used old plastic wads for re use.

Ed Yanchok

3. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Winchester papers were fun to load and shoot!

FRedmon

4. hdskip

hdskip Member

Minimum wage was $1.45. Coke was a 5 cents.You could see a movie and have popcorn and a drink for a buck.
    Gary

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Gas was 12.9 cents 0 that goes way back ( about 57-59)

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

You guys are ancient!!!

7. johnpe

johnpe Member

CCI made the tool to recap primers.

8. stanky feet

stanky feet TS Member

After you had missed 2 or 3 targets on handicap you felt like you still had a chance to win it!

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

We age like a fine wine.....sooner or later we turn into vinegar! LOL

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

10. dave391

dave391 TS Member

You guys bring back lots of good memories. I started with a lee loader kit. It had the plastic powder dipper and adjustable shot dipper. You used the bathroom scales for measuring wad pressure. Hey, those were the days!!

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

1976: My first home in Denver, $22,500, it was a condo in Lakewood. Shot, $25 for 100 lbs. New Black 911S, $12,000. Oh! those were the days.

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

some reloaders had a heating unit to melt the wax on paper shells.

Your grand parents and parents were still married.

13. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Got married in '66. My "mobile home" cost $56/month for the payments, my new bug was $44/month. I made $5800 a year teaching school and worked part time in a gas station for $1.17/hour and bought gas for 28.9cents/gallon. A couple years later, when we were loading commercial ammo for a few police departments, primers were $5.90/M, shot was around $4/bag, and S&W got bought out by Bangor Punta and quality went to hell.

We had a little heater thing that we put our paper shells on to redistribute the wax, had a set of dies that fit our Lyman AA turret press to load shotshells and Richard Lee just came out with the Lee Loader.

I got a case of "buy American" and picked up a '62 Rambler with six cylinder and overdrive. What a piece of crap. Not near as good as my old Pontiac Chieftain (53).

Model 12 field grades were $125 or so, H240 for my hornet was $1.25/pound and black powder was $26 for a 25 pound keg. Any tears yet?

After college, fresh out of guns sold for tuition, I bought a Savage 24DL for about $85 and hunted everything legal in IL. I reloaded my paper Federals on the kitchen table with a Lee loader and by golly,,,,I made sure there were none of them darn little "BBs" on the floor when I was done so the childbride didn't step on them.

Thanks for getting this started. I almost got out my old college annual but couldn't stand to see what it was like to have hair, or pigment.

14. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

Looking inside Winchester paper shells (Mark 5's) to make sure the "O" ring shaped basewad was still there before you loaded the hull, also 25 round practice was $ 1.00 and 100 ATA registered targets were $ 6.00 plus $ 1.00 ATA fees.

15. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Paid 17cents gal. of gas when they had the gas wars back in 64. Got married in 66. Made 1.35 hr. Bought a house for 8,000.00 smakers. Loaded with a lee loader. Put paper shells in the oven at 100 deg. for 20 to 30 minutes so I could load them in the back bedroom. Felt wads by Alcan. Watch cheyenne theater of the tv. Put aluminium foil of the antenna wires and move it up and down along with turnning the antenna to get a good picture. And my old 58 pontiac got me an the new misses around just fine. She stayed home with the kids untill the were all well in the middle grades. The the women started burnning their bras and like my wife said. They are going to make it so it will take two people in the family to make a living. Well after the womens lib hit,yep she had to go to work. Guess what. She got to retire last year and we are still married. To bad these young people will really never no the good ole days with fast cars, good music and women were women.

16. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

The only thing I'd trade for now vs. then would be my "athleticism (I've been watching the damnable IHSA tournaments) that I had then for the arthritisicsm I have now. Some days everything hurts.

On the other hand, I can recognize BS when I hear/see it and on most of the media, that is all I see/hear.

17. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Brand new BT-99 275.oo
    Brand new 3200 350.oo
    Brand new K-32 425.oo
    Brand new TM-1 400.00

Ed Yanchok

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Everytime I hear someone lament about the "old days"...I politely advise them (on a hot summer day) to go home and turn off the central A/C.

One thing I've learned (okay 2)....we can't go back and if we wish in one hand and crap in the other, guess which one fills up the fastest?

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.