1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Colt Revolver Value

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Any Colt Single Action collectors here?

Colt Single Action "Frontier Six Shooter" stamped on the left side of the barrel, chambered .44-40, 7 1/2" bbl, one screw at an angle from the front to retain the cyl base pin, large round knob on the ejector rod, serial # 73*** (yeah, five didgets no prefix), I'm no expert but a little research suggests it was made in 1881 or 1882. I'd say VERY GOOD condition (slight bolt drag marks on the cylinder). Assuming original finish and all matching ser #'s.........what's it worth?

On the bottem front of the frame just ahead of the grip frame along with the ser # are what appears to be proofmarks.....what are they and is that normal?

Saw the pistol today in the used case of my local sporting goods store, for sale on consignment.

2. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

It's a fake.

what is the address of the gun shop?

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

At #52,000 Colt changed from round head ejector to oval, also serial numbers were also stamped on the cylinder in this number range.

4. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

What percent original finish?

What grips are on the gun? Wood? Rubber Eagle?

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

90% plus finish, wood stocks (one piece as I recall)

6. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

What did the gun shop have it priced at?

Sportalluring

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

$1250, which seemed a little low to me considering it's condition and apparent age but I don't think he realized how old it was.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

If the "frontier six shooter" was stamped on the barrel, it doesn't correspond with the date of serial number your posting. They were acid etched them on the barrel until they roll stamped them around 1889 however it could have been rebarreled.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've got one with the name of the guy who assembled it.

Uberti, right on the barrel!

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thank you Barfin,

That's what I'm thinkin'.........if I trusted my limited knowledge of old Colt revolvers to tell the real thing from a good fake I think I would've bought it on the spot. Those little stamped in things on the bottem front of the frame along with the seriel number that looked like proofmarks got me suspicious, were some of the early ones made in England or someplace where proofing would've been required? Or what could they be if not proofmarks?

11. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Personally I'd run from that deal like a rabbit.Sounds funny to me.

12. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I do have one , dated at 1891 by serial number,, numbers matching,, frontier six shooter 44-40 we think,,the markings are very worn,, the muzzle is very holster worn,, the ejector assembley is missing from the barrel,mainspring broken and wear on clylinder locks, was told by the gunsmith doing the repiars, if I wanted to put it on acution arms starting at $1800 and watch it go up,,,in better condition est $4500
    [​IMG]

13. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I'm very suspicious. Should have acid etched barrel. No proofs unless exported overseas. Could be..... but, more likely an Italian copy.

Be careful. You may be paying $1250 for a $300 gun.

Mike

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thank's a bunch for all the information and advice fellas. Armed with my newfound knowledge I stopped by the store and looked at it again today;

The consigner is a retired truck driver with health problems that consigned this revolver among a number of other guns, something he'd "picked up someplace" according to the store owner, who seemed to know even less about old Colts than I do. Serial # on the cylinder matches the serial # on the frame. There's also a couple of what appear to be proof marks on the cylinder besides the proof marks on the frame. The "Colt's Frontier Six Shooter" is definitly STAMPED on the left side of the barrel which has a fairly wide and square topped front sight blade unlike what I would expect to see on a really old revolver. My conclusion (FWIW) is that it was made in the Colt factory in 1882, shipped overseas (England?) which would explain the proof marks and subsequently found it's way back to America where sometime later for some reason a new barrel was installed perhaps quite recently along with a new ejector rod and housing.

Prob'ly make a nice "shooter" for somebody that wanted a real "Colt" 7 1/2" .44-40 but I assume any serious collector value went out the window when they installed the new barrel so I visited with the store proprietor awhile and then left without the pistol.

Thank ya'll again for the benefit of your knowledge,

John C. Saubak

15. TOOLMAKER 251

John, in my opinion you made the right decision.

16. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

If you want to see what can be done with those old Colts go to.
    http://www.turnbullmfg.com/ They are currently working on one of mine.
    Fantastic work, resonable priced.

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

It may not be a "serious" collector but it still has value. I would do more research before it gets away.

18. EvansK

EvansK Member

If you have the serial #, you should request an authentication letter from Colt.

19. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

this sounds like a period rebarrel of an artillery model saa.
    above the frame serial number should be three letters [inspectors initials].
    artillery guns were all numbered on cylinder,and later got mixed up at the arsenals.
    Colt also made an ltd run of blackpowder frame guns in the 1970s-80s with the old logo as you describe and 1 pc grips.

if its all 1st gen., theres more there in parts than a whole gun.

1st gen should have flared ejector house,chamfered cylinder,solid fixed firing pin,no "sa" prefix or suffix in serial number.

20. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

take a look at italian proof house markings to see if any look familiar.those proofs will look like the ones on your berazzi-nelli if you have any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.