1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

old Christmas card

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MTA Tom, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

trench12, that's a treat. Thank you!

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

trench12- To me it was more than interesting. Bill Jenkins (the youngster in the photo) was a very good friend of mine. I shot and visited with Bill over many years. I have, somewhere, a history of many adventures of Bill, his father Ralph and his Uncle Rock. Bill is in the NC Hall of Fame.

Please take great care of this card. It should be mounted with an acid free backing. If possible, I would greatly appreciate a photocopy of this card.

Pat Ireland

3. TigerMyrtle

TigerMyrtle Member

trench12:
    Please contact me via e-mail. I want to ask you a few questions regarding this card.
    Thanks,
    Eric Schmidt
    xxxindy4eric@gmail.com (drop the "x's"

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

trench12

Pat Ireland
    885 Mountain View Drive
    Christiansburg, VA 24073

Phirel@AOL.com

A little more information. Both Ralph and Rock are in the ATA Hall of Fame. They made a bit of money by building railroad cars that were designed to ship chickens from Indiana to the larger Eastern markets. Rock designed the first replacement butt pad that was designed for trap (Jenkins Pad). That distinctive green pad with a yellow spacer is still mentioned on this site now and then. Bill Jenkins condensed his trap shooting to me once by saying he won the Jr. Championship at the Grand in 1926 (date?) and never did anything after that. His first wife of 40 years died around 1978. Bill was a Sr Vet at that time. He married a younger second wife who was a fine lady and Bill lived another 6-7 years with her.

The card is not only a bit of trap history, it is very personal to me. Thank you very much for the posting.

Pat Ireland

5. tomk2

tomk2 Member

A new TS.com drive to add to the Hall of Fame collection?

6. lju

lju Member

Nice job Trench! You are a wealth of information when it comes to trapshooting history. Take care of your treasures, and share often.

Travel safe if you're heading North!

lju

7. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I enoyed it as well.
    Thankyou / Merry Christmas

Joe Woods/Ontario

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thanks Trench for sharing that bit of history with us!!! I can imagine how thrilled Pat is also knowing them first hand! Hap

9. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Terry, once again you've given us a great pleasure. Please keep digging in your archives and either posting them here or send'm straight to me. Thanks, Harry.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Man what a great read!!! Thanks for posting that letter guys!! I truly enjoyed reading it! Hap

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

This thread gets better every day.

Pat Ireland

12. j l c

j l c TS Member

Trench12-Thanks for sharing this history. Crank

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Trench, and Big Ed.......Thanks for making that letter available to the rest of us. Really nice to read something good about our history.

Hauxfan!

14. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Thank you for sharing your pieces of trapshooting history with those of us who really enjoy such things. May I ask you to please consider providing nice copies or scans of them to the Trapshooting Hall of Fame where this information can be preserved and provided for research in the future.

There is a wonderful explanation of the 1912 Olympic Trapshooting event in "Trapshooting - The Patriotic Sport" if anyone is interested. It lists the United State team members and their scores. the US won over Great Britian by the score of 532 to 511.

Jay R. Graham, Ingleside, Illinois won the individual championship with 96; Alfred Goeldel, Germany, 94; Henry Blau, Russia, 91; H. R. Humby, Great Britian, 88; & albert Preuss, Germany, 88.

US members did well considering they were not accustomed to "holding the gun below the elbow."

Thank you for your consideration.

Kenny Ray Estes
    Trapshooting Hall of Fame

15. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

very good reading ed and trench. merry christmas hauxfan.jackmitch

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us. Talk about pressure! The US and most of Europe wanted him to win. Jeff

17. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Nice card, thanks for sharing. Ray....

18. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Wow! A whole squad, all brothers! How great is that?

Trench and BigEd,

I have a trap scrapbook, any copies of these treasures that you could Email would be greatly appreciated. You could have your own Hall Of Fame! Actually, I think you do!

Ron

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

If the photo was made at the Grand, and it likely was, look at the size of the trees. Straw hats were popular between 1920 and 1930.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.