1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old, but interesting, survey of LEOs on CWC

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by recurvyarcher, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The San Diego Police Officers Association polled its members about gun
    control on 05 May 1997 and published the results in their official
    newsletter, "The Informant".

Note that the actual questions asked are stated here to prevent
    confusion. Anyone who has taken a survey knows the pitfalls of
    vague or misleading questions.

1. Do you support an assault weapons ban?
    NO - 82.1%

2. Do you support a limitation on magazine capacity?
    NO - 82.2%

3. Do you support a law-abiding private citizen's right to carry a
    concealed weapon?
    YES - 84.9%

4. Do you believe that armed, law-abiding citizens are a threat to
    you as a police officer?
    NO - 87.8%

5. Have recent gun laws (weapons bans, magazine capacity limits, and
    increased waiting periods) reduced violent crime in your area?
    NO - 94.2%

6. Would you support a point of sale background check (instant check)
    for the purchase of a firearm?
    YES - 92.1%

7. Does gun ownership by private citizens increase public safety?
    YES - 87.1%

8. Do you believe the criminal justice system needs streamlining and
    reform?
    YES - 99.2%

9. Do you believe in the death penalty?
    YES - 99.2%

10. Do you believe that restrictive gun laws will reduce violent crime?
    NO - 92.1%

11. Do you believe that gun buy-back or turn-in programs take guns out
    of the hands of criminals?
    NO - 98.5%

12. Do you believe that misuse of a firearm in a crime should result in
    stiff, mandatory sentences with no plea bargaining?
    YES - 95.6%

These results are consistent with similar polls taken all across the
    U.S. for over 20 years.

Please contact the San Diego Police Officers Association for copies of
    this poll or talk to your local police officer about his/her views on
    gun control.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I will disappointedly suggest that a 2007 poll just may not fare quite so well for we supporters of the 2nd amendment. Slowly but surely the police personnel, IMOH, are coming from a different background and it's not as supportive of civilian freedom of ownership and carrying guns. Even in my era which was well before the '97 poll, there were officers who were enthusiastically in favor of restrictive gun laws having the attitude, "I've got my guns - who cares if if they can have guns!"

Then, wireguy's right, it's not the beat cop that speaks out in great seriosity against the private ownership or carrying of guns, it's the brass, belonging to the Association of Chiefs of Police that basically have to join the anti-mantra. High ranking officials are very political while the beat cop, at least in my generation, generally, has a much more freedom to think for themselves. I think the general mentality of the guys in uniform would still vote similarly today even if not quite so solidly...breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. alpine

alpine TS Member

The chiefs of police and sheriff are political animals. The rank and file LEOs overwhelmingly support the right to carry. They know they cannot be everywhere to protect the public.

At least that's the way it was when I retired from there 15 years ago.

4. recurvyarcher

Wireguy..LOL!!! You not only can call me "Gimpy," you can now call me snot-nosed as well. Both are just temporary conditions, though.

BTW...David and Colette just announced that they are expecting! He will, alas, be in Iraq in December when the baby is due. They will not be coming back to California after deployment. I hope you get the chance to say good bye before they leave. They think highly of you.

5. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

I hesitate to wade in on this one as opinions are like sphincters (did I spell that right?) - Just about everyone has one. My experience, based on 18 yrs working the streets as a LEO, are that our younger officers are more citified and may be less experienced in dealing with people. I think that they, like many of the cops before them, soon realize that what they learned in college or the academy doesn't fully prepare them for the job. They also learn that they cannot save everyone and right all the wrongs or catch all of the bad guys. Most all of the cops that I know would answer the poll, that Recurvey referred to, today in much the same manner as those 1997 San Diego cops did. Gun possesion laws just make self serving, short sighted unthinking politicians and their like minded supporters feel good. It is the political leaders of law enforcement who speak for all of us. They almost never ask the rank and file how we really think about something before they speak. I am prohibited by policy and probable discepline if I speak w/o the Chief or Sheriff's blessing. (Wireguy - I'm not all bad as I do own a GWP.)

6. recurvyarcher

<html xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice"
    xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:word"
    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<head>
    <meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
    <meta name=ProgId content=Word.Document>
    <meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 11">
    <meta name=Originator content="Microsoft Word 11">
    <link rel=File-List href="9383992A_files/filelist.xml">

<style>

</style>

</head>

<body lang=EN-US style='tab-interval:.5in'>

<div class=Section1>

<p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>Rem31TC, you spelled
    "sphincters" correctly, but it's "discipline."<span
    style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>Here's a good way to remember:<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:14.0pt'><o:p> </o:p></span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:14.0pt'>Overly-disc<span
    style='color:red'>i</span>plined people wind up being tight-<span class=SpellE>sph<span
    style='color:red'>i</span>nctered</span> (both "disc<span
    style='color:red'>i</span>pline" and "sph<span style='color:red'>i</span>ncter"
    have <span class=GramE>an<span style='color:red'> I</span></span> in
    them).<span style='mso-spacerun:yes'> </span>So now you'll never forget.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

7. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Curvey - I just fell off my chair laughing!! Now I'll remember how to spell discipline. Thanks, you brightened my day!

8. recurvyarcher

The things we have to come up with to get us through high school and college...

9. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Wireguy- I'd be glad to post a photo of Fritz. He's taking it easy right now, stretched out on the kitchen floor by my feet. He did do a short tour with me on the night shift one cold winter night. But he's better at pointing birds than dope(s).

Rem 31TC

10. recurvyarcher

David was bred to be a Marine by a Marine...LOL! He looks like his dad, has his dad's name, and is an excellent Marine, just like his dad. He just made Sergeant. Our whole family is proud of him.

Wireguy...Butch reads this forum. I'm sure he will send me David's email addy, and I'll get it to you. I'll post pics when the little one arrives.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

K-80 guy, the difference in backgrounds is simple. You and I may have been raised in a society where our relatives not only bought us guns for recreation but encouraged their use for hunting and sports. Today, the younger folks are brought into a world with nonsensical opinions about firearms, they put up with 8 years of grammar school where teachers pound in the anti gun mantra, they graduate into high school and colleges that continue the brainwashing and declaring "gun free zones" and so forth. This is "coming from a different background."

I stand squarely on my opinion that if that poll was repeated today, there would still be perhaps overwhelming support for citizen ownership of guns by the front line law men but perhaps not quite as solidly as the '97 poll. Then, yes, I did, in fact, run across law men who opined just as I described; "I've got my guns and don't care about them" when the subject of "gun control" was raised. Those bozos were typically "different" in many other ways and rarely considered the norm but they did exist. I won't name names to satisfy your inquiry further nor do I feel much motivation to distance myself from "Red" or Deckart believing I can stand on my lengthy reputation on this forum. Do still, breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.