1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

===OLD BULLETS IN TO SHOT ??? ===

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ROB B, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROB B

ROB B TS Member

I have a chance to get reclaimed jacketed ammo from a rifle range. I want to convert the lead to shotgun shot.
    What is the lead from jacketed bullets good enough for shot or do I need to add something to it to make good shot? ROB

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You will have to add antimony because it is soft lead.

3. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i use 70% wheel weights,30% range lead,stretches my wheel weights&makes great shot,mark

4. ROB B

ROB B TS Member

HOW MUCH antimony TO BE ADD OR HOW DO YOU NOW WHAT THE PERCENTAGE of L.A.&T.IS IN THE MIX TO MAKE GOOD SHOT. ROB

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Rob, Most all rifle bullets contain some antimony. It varies between 1.5% and 6%. Most are in the 1.5%-3% range. Pistol bullets are mostly pure lead cores. Cast pistol bullets are harder, But contain tin also. It's a lot easier to add wheel weights to bullet alloy than to add just antimony, Plus antimony is expensive. I've mixed range lead and wheel weights in a 50-50 mix and it made good shot. Don't add tin to the mix. Tin is good for casting and bad for shot making.

Save all the bullet jackets for sale at the scrap yard, They are 95% copper.

Jim

6. ROB B

ROB B TS Member

YES ; JIM THE MAJORITY IS GOING TO BE 9MM & 40CAL. ROB

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

If that's the case I would probably mix it 70-30 wheel weights to bullet lead. It should be ok.

Jim

8. 333t

333t Member

Some metal cased pistol bullets in those calibers and .45acp are fully surrounded by the jacket and others have an opening on the base. The ones that are fully jacketed and undamaged won't release the lead unless you cut a hole somewhere in the jacket. The ones with the hole in the base will melt out just fine but you really want to stir the jackets around well to release all the lead before you skim them off.

Phil

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

i have used the range lead and had no problems i bought about 1000lbs the jackets will sell for yellow brass price need to run a magnet over to get the steel out but the jackets paid for the lead. If it is all 9mm and 40mm then would do what jim said mix it 70% to 30% wheel w rick

10. ROB B

ROB B TS Member

THE Magnet is for the Quality of the Jackets to be sold later or can Skimming do the Job ?? for the Jackets. I use Candle Wax too in the Mix to .It is good to hear from other shotmakers. ROB

11. ROB B

ROB B TS Member

12. ROB B

ROB B TS Member

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

rob what i did i melt about 50lbs at a time DO NOT FLUX find a stainless steel wire collander and dip about 1/2 a cup of the jackets that are floating on top and put in collander and shake to get excess lead out and put somewhere to cool when you get done then you can put your flux in. one thing you cannot use alumium screen wire {it will melt} and if you add flux the lead will stick to the jackets the jackets are not 100% copper and when they heat they will look more like brass so if they are mostly clean the scrap places will give you yellow brass price dont know current but a 5gal bucket is around 60lbs if you can get lead that has a lot of cast bullets you dont need the wheel weights good luck rick

14. ROB B

ROB B TS Member

15. ROB B

ROB B TS Member

YES TO THAT;; COME TO FINDOUT THERE IS ABOUT 22 percent of the MIX is not LEAD and 4 percent of THAT is waste and that leaves 78 percent is soft lead.So I may have to add antimony . This was a test I did to day. ROB

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Rob, there's a web site that has the process for adding antimony to lead. I think it's theantimoneyman.com. It's not as simple as melting the lead and antimoney together. To get it to alloy requires some fairly high temps if I remember correctly. It would be a lot easier to just mix in some wheel weights.

Jim

17. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

to get pure antimony to mix you will need some tin and an alloy flux like you solder with the temp needs to be around 1100 degrees that is dull red you can get pure tin and antimony both are about the same price dont know now what that is but last i got [4yrs ago] was $2.50 lb but the kicker is the arscnic that you need to add that is $10 for 5 grams rick

18. ROB B

ROB B TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.