1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

old BT99 hard to open after shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ive never ran um, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ive never ran um

ive never ran um TS Member

I have an old BT99 (its at least 25 years old or older and i am having trouble opening the gun after each shot. I had this guy named Larkin replace the firing pin and the lock block 3 years ago and every since then it has had this problem. I finaly firgured out that the firing pin is not retracting after the gun is shot and it is hanging up on the primers. it does it worse on estate shells but it does it on all cheap shells, it does it the least on AA's and i cannot afford to shoot them very much, like never.
    does anyone have any ideas / suggestions how i can fix this problem with out spending an arm and a leg?

2. Soot Them All

Soot Them All Active Member

I would guess that your firing pin hole is very dirty or the spring is busted, i do believe you need a special tool to remove the pin, I think the tool is available from Brownells. Good luck, Steve....

3. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

The firing pin spring may be missing or installed backwards (it is a tapered spring), the pin will hang up in the fired primer making the gun hard to open. The firing pin could also be too long or crap not cleaned out when the guy replaced it. The new locking block could fit too tight but I doubt if that's the problem. Is the firing pin bushing flush with the breech face (the standing breech)??
    Dick C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 99 hard to open

bt 99 wont open after shot

bt99 hard to open after shooting