1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Auto-Mate

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Didreckson, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I believe a gentleman named Jim Benn build and sold the orginal AutoMate for Mec, P/W & Spolar units. Mec bought the business and is the builder now of units for Mec only, no P/W or Spolar. However, P/W is marketing a similar unit for their units and Spolar I believe.

My understanding is the original company and owner no longer have anything to do with the units, but perhaps he is still around to service the original AutoMate's as they were slightly different in operation. Mec being a larger company was more concerned about safety than convenience.

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

My understanding of the deal between Jim Benn and Mec, is that Jim said he would take care of the older model Automates.

However, from what I can tell, he has not replied to anyone's email.

Don't know if something has befallen Jim, or if he just decided he isn't going to be found or.........he changed his mind.

Can anyone from the Des Moines area look into this, as that is where Jim lived the last time I knew.

I have emailed him along with at least one or two other Automate owners, and as far as I know, Jim hasn't replied to any of us.

Are the owners of the "old" Automate left high and dry if something goes wrong with our machines?

Inquiring minds would like to know. I certainly don't want to believe it, but...........we just don't know.

Hauxfan!

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Maybe Whiz can contact him. They worked togeather on the originals didnt they?

4. Hauxfan

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

There is probably nothing in there you couldn't replace out of Grainger or some electronics supply house. You would just have to know what you needed.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Hi Ajax, yea we are all hanging in there, spending money we shouldn't be on pot shooting LOL.
    I'm pretty shaky on the electronics but anything else I can probably troubleshoot.

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I did some research for Jim Benn in Johnston, Iowa. I found a Jim Benn who was on the City Council at one time and then found a listed phone number.

I called the number but did not get an answer. I did get a ring, so it was a working number.

I left a message, if I remember correctly, asking Jim to call me. I've never herad a work.

Use Google to locate him. It was not too hard for me to find his number.

Whiz White

9. Hauxfan

It's as though Jim has written us earlier AutoMate buyers off.

I don't like to think that, as I hope there is some other reason.

But..........am waiting to hear what the reason may be.

Hauxfan!

10. willing

willing Member

Product liability if anything should happen?? Those suckers come down HARD.

Bill

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Part of the buy out agreement with Mec may be a non compete agreement which may restrict Jim from talking with us. Sometimes the seller cannot even disclose the details of the non compete until it runs out. I don't know Jim, I have just seen similar situations in other companies. YMMV Omaha

12. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

When Jim sold to MEC, if I'm remembering correctly, it was mentioned on MEC's web site. I also believe the announcement mentioned that the original Auto-Mate service would remain with Jim. Wiz may have posted something along the same wording. That leads me to believe there was not a non-compete agreement with servicing the originals.

I too would like to contact Jim, and get some royalty money, for telling him how I mounted a stabilizer bracket on his precious invention, from the top of the MEC, to the Auto-Mate II deck, very similar to the bracket on a 9000H. Jim was all eyes and ears at the Iowa state shoot in '06. In '07, the bracket was standard equipment. That,,really made a man out of the arrangement. Stiffened things up, big time! LOL!!

13. 100straight

100straight Member

I have been able to contact Jim Benn, and here is his response:

--------------------------------------

"Hi Mark, Thanks for your note."

"This email address is the best contact for me right now." (see e-mail address above)

"I am currently working with a company that manufactures and markets equipment for the hi-bred seed corn industry. I handle their offshore technical coordination and installations. So, sometimes getting at email can be difficult. I was in a remote area of Thailand a good part of the summer, and will be bouncing back and forth between India and New Zealand most of the winter on jobs for Pioneer. I am currently back in the States until 11/7.
    So, to answer your question yes, I do have some parts left. Most of the parts are available through either McMaster Carr, or Grainger. I will do the best that I can to answer technical questions when I can get at email."

"Take Care, Jim"

-------------------------------

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

14. Hauxfan

Mark, at least that is something.

Some people have been unable to contact him at all.

Hauxfan!

15. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Yea, we have means of contact. Hopefully will not need it but nice to have just in case. Thanks, Jake

16. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I thought you spelled hybrid seed this way and not hi-bred....I'd think he'd know if that's his job?

17. rslus

rslus TS Member

Yes, I am another Automate unit user that has been waiting since 7/08 on an email from Jim. Sounds like he's tied up with a new job and off-shore at that. The message above states he will be out of the country all winter. Just great news!!!! I doubt very much we will hear from Jim. His emails must be full by now. Why doesn't he take a few minutes and give us a listing of the parts that are available at Graingers etc. One cannot wait 6-12 months to get through to Jim for an email or a part. I had to go out and buy a new Mec H-D unit to keep loading.

rslus

18. rslus

rslus TS Member

100 straight:

I basically agree with your comments and service help from Jim Benn. He has helped me in the past as well. However, I emailed him in early July on a problem with no response to date. I recently learned that he was out of the country but is now in the USA until 11/7/08. Based on that input, I again emailed Jim a few days ago and still waiting. My emails do not bounce back so I know they are going through.

Bob S. PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.