1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

old and slow poi

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I am old and slow and have a problem locking on to the bird. sometimes even finding the bird.most of the birds i hit are out at least 40yds. my question is where should my poi be set? right now its 3" @ 13yrds.i shoot 1150-1200fps#8 or 7.5s. im or full.I know there is more to it than what I am asking but for now I would like to know about poi.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I would think that at 40+ yards the target is on it's way down. Based on your current POI that translates to 9+" high at that distance. There's no real reason that couldn't work at 40yds as long as you allow for it. Perhaps it might be a vision problem that could be corrected by an eye exam.

Eric

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

tracy, I think you should try a different POI. At the yardage you are hitting the birds they may still be going up a tad, flat, or already on the way down, depending on how the trap is set and conditions.

I shoot a gun set up much like yours; maybe an inch higher. One week I used it to shoot 5-stand. I had an awful time with flat or descending birds, and with the overhead, come from behind shots. The next week I came back with my flat shooting 20b (around 1" high @ 13yards) and did much better. However, I had a problem with the teal shots and other fast climbing birds. I found it much easier to adjust to that than to a higher shooting gun at flat or falling targets.

Try lowering your POI by an inch or two at 13 yards and see what happens. I suspect you'll do better at 0" or 1" high at 13 yards. Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

4. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Flat is what you want just like a field gun.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Leave the POI alone. Shorten the LOP and the gun will be easier to move onto the target. You can also add a little weight to the butt stock, that will let you move the barrel a little faster. HMB

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

shoot 9's

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I respectfully think you are asking the wrong question.. Where is your hold point??? I would start at the lower edge of the traphouse allowing full vision of the bird.. as soon as it leaves.. Keeping my eyes focused in the "box"..infront of the house that ALL targets fly thru..as they depart.. What I'm hearing is classic high gun hold from a person who should have a much lower hold point.. Respectfully.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.