1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old All Brass Shell

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by huntinandhotrods, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

My dad gave me a couple of old 12 gauge shells he said he has had for many years. The whole hull is made completely out of brass. I had never seen nothing like them before so I thought I would post a couple of pictures to share. You can see the shells are still loaded with the primer and powder but the shot has leaked past the paper seal. Kinda neat! Huntinandhotrods
    huntinandhotrods_2010_110526.jpg

huntinandhotrods_2010_110527.jpg

huntinandhotrods_2010_110528.jpg

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I know these were sometimes used at prisons where they didn't want to take any chances on a swelled paper case refusing to cycle. I have one labeled 00 BUCK on the crimped paper label.

3. E.D. Va

E.D. Va TS Member

I also have a couple of these shell casings. It has been my understanding that these were made of the US Armed Forces during WW II in an effort to combat, no pun intended, dampness and high humidity encountered in the European climate during war time.

LJC

4. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

shot hundreds of them while serving in the Marines 66-70.

5. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

They are still available to buy.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly they required an oversized (11 ga) wad. Ross

7. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have 10 "Solid Drawn Brass" 12 guage shells that were imported from Italy and sold by the Alcan Company of Alton Illinois. I think I have had them probably for over 50 years! I just looked and 5 of them are primed and loaded with black powder with no shot. The other 5 are loaded with 1 1/8 oz of #5 shot.

I used to shoot them in an old double barrel gun with damascus barrels.

As old as they are I don't know if they would shoot or not!!

Allen

8. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Oh, I forgot to say, the 10 shells cost the big sum of $3.75 for all ten!!

Allen

9. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I have a buch of them. They were loaded with 00 Buck. My dad brought them back from his tour with the USAF during the Korean war. I reload them with BP ad #7 shot for fun. They take a large rifle primer and (you were correct) 11 gauge wads. You need a .125" nitro card, a 3/4" fiber wad, 11/8 oz number 7 and a paper over shot card...all in 11 gauge. the BP charge is 90 grains by volume. You can seal the over shot card using super glue or Devco.

10. tulsey

tulsey Member

Brass hulls can go all the way back to when shotguns started being chamberloaded in the 1800s. They remained widely used until the introduction of plastic hulls in the 1960s. The goverment bought them for the Winchester 97s and the otehr trench shotguns of World War I. When WWII came, many brass shells were used in the left over WWI trench guns and Winchester model 12s and other new models that were used in the Pacific jungles. The government continued to use them for years until the plastic hulls took over.

Brass shotgun hulls used many types of pimers. Many used large pistol primers, some were Berdan primed and some used #57 or #209 size shotgun primers. Most were thinner than paper or plastic hulls and therefore needed the oversize wads. Waterglass, aka sodium silicate, was and still is often used to seal the overshot wad.

The brass hulls have not gone away. They are popular with cowboy action shooters because they look period and they easily fall out of doublebarrel shotguns. Midway and others import MagTec brass hulls from Brazil in most gauges. They use pistol primers and the oversize wads. There have been some other brass hulls recently produced that are thicker and use regular wads along with 209 primers. Some others are still thinner, but use 209 primers.
    For someone who does not use them in more than one shotgun or step on them, they can be loaded with almost no equipment. There is enough demand that RCBS offers a set of dies to resize the 12 ga hulls.

Not gone and not forgotten.

11. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

The first time I saw & used Brass 12 ga. Shells was at Mare Island Navy Yard, 1960.
    They came in #4 & 00 Buck Shot.
    We used them on the Ferry, Pier, Main Gate, & Roving Patrol truck as part of Ship Yard security.
    I think Midway sell them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.