1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Age Shotshells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by The Kolar Kid, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

Guys/Gals

Is there a shelf life for shotshells that anyone is aware of assuming they have been kept dry and in good condition?

KK

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Heat and sunlight are the enemies of your ammo.

3. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I cannot answer the question. But a few years ago Dan Bonillas shot back to back 100 straights in Handicap at the California State Shoot using Winchester Papers that were over 20 years old. - Jim

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know how long modern ammo remains fresh. I can tell you that I'm still using a case lot of 16 gauge Remington Express shells from the 50's and they kill roosters with great regularity. (they smell great after firing too)

5. 100straight

100straight Member

I'd recommend not shooting any shells that are over a year old. Please send ALL older shells to me and I'll dispose of them properly!

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jim, I remember that year. Dan shot Winchester papers he found in the garage.

7. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

I live in Nashville TN, what made you think I was in Il?

KK

8. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If they are papers and you don't know the history of where they have been stored, I wouldn't use them. Paper shells stored in a hot attic can be come dynamite, figuratively speaking. Besides if they are older papers in original boxes in good shape, you can probably sell them for enough to buy current shells, and then some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.