1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old age and neuropathy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Hit the 60 mark and now am experiencing pins and needles in my feet that my local doctor has diagnosed as neuropathy. Don't think I care much for it. Discomforting enough to cause some sleepness nights. No diabetes in my family nor for me.

Anyone been subject to this and, if so, what was the outcome ? Helpfull remedies ?

2. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

It may be due to poor circulation....do you smoke? At any rate, i'm diabetic and mid 50s. I have it too. Some days are good, no pain. Others, well, I'd rather not dwell on those days. Take theraputic asprin, wear good socks and properly fitted shoes. Watch your feet like a hawk. If you notice numb areas, watch those even closer for injuries etc.

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

What a coinidence because yesterday I went to the doctor for cold feet at night, just the bottoms, but they weren`t cold to the touch? Going on 2 months now and I have no diabetes, poor circulation, pain or discomfort during the day, just 2 hours after I lay down for the night. I stood on a heating pad but couldn`t feel the heat but I feel the cold from the tile floors in the kitchen and bathroom ? I tried thick insulated booties and another blanket but that doesn`t help so he took another blood test and I will know this coming week. I stopped taking my Niacin and Crestor last week. As far as I know we had no diabetes in the family. WE shall soon find out. My wife knows best and said I don`t have Neuropathy !!!!

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Look into non-flushing Niacin (in caplet form), it helps open the arteries that get real small in the foot. Just FYI.

Kip

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Thats what I`ve been taking for 2 years because I have Rosacia along with Crestor since November. He told me to stop all Meds until the blood results come back.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have been diagnosed with CMT. It is also called inherited neuropathy. It began years ago with numbness in my feet, but now extends through my lower legs and now my hands. The pain is pretty much gone most of the time in my feet, but my hands are giving me fits now. There are some pain meds, but they seem to be ineffective on me. Good luck as it usually is progressive. I have trouble losing my balance in darkness and when it is windy, but do OK on level ground. Life could be worse as I seem to deal with it better than I thought I would

7. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

My cardiologist told me not to take non flushing Niacin with the Crestor. It seems to be offset the effects of Crestor in some way and is a different type of Niacin. I was told to take prescription Niacin or Slo Niacin only. He had prescribed Niacin for me to reduce the sticky cholesterol in the blood stream to globules that could be removed by the body. His idea seems to work. My cholesterol was over 330 10 years ago and we have it down to 100 with Crestor, Zetia, Niacin and an improved diet.

8. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I have about the same as tripod. Loss of balance, foot cramps, unsure footing, etc. (I used to pay good money to get "tipsy" like this). Thus far, my hands are OK. I shoot off of a "butt-prop"(kind of like a T - post) and still enjoy the sport. I have NO diabetes and Doctors at Barnes hospital in St. Louis are at a loss to explain it or what to do other than stumble forward.....merlyn..

9. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

This stuff is very progressive. It started in me around 1989, now I'm in a wheelchair because if you can't feel the ground or your leggs you fall down. If you fall down enough you tend to break bones, knees,arms,back,hips,leggs,ect...I started out with a cane, shooting off a stool. Next I went to a walker, then a wheelchair. What a pain. It could be worse I guess.
    Now I shoot from my chair, it took a while to learn to shoot that way but it paid off. I'm shooting better now than when I had good leggs.
    Keep a good outlook
    Fran

10. Shooter100

Shooter100 TS Member

I had neuropathy. I was told for 10 years that there was nothing that could be done to releave the pain. Even buy the so called experts ( neuro surgeon's). Then at the urging of my new Dr. I had the Dillon Procedure done almost a year ago. Now I think nothing of spending all day on my feet. Shooting or in my shop. The pain and problems are all but gone.
    The problem is to find a Podiarist that is expeienced in the Dillon Procedure. Everyone else will tell you it dosen't work because they don't know. It has taken almost a year for the nerves to grow back. It is the best thing I have done to improve my quality of life. Had I know about the Dillon Procedure I would have gone to the there location and paid out of my pocket to get the cure. But that was not required as my insurance paid. I was also told that Medicare will also pay for this procedure.

In the mean time Gabapentin was a drug that helped me the most.

Harry

11. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Shoes,but that is a long shot. A cheap long shot,though. Try different pairs of shoes & see if it helps

12. DocJim

DocJim Member

Neuropathy may be the manifestation of many different diseases not just diabetes mellitus or poor circulation. Appropriate treatment depends upon the cause. After intense investigation the actual cause in found in about 5o%+/- of cases. If the cause is not obvious after initial evaluation consultation with a neurologist would be the next step. ...............AJ

13. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Here is how I knocked out the neuropathy
    1000 mg per day of Alpha Lipoic Acid.
    This stuff is cheap, you get it at a health food or vitamin shop.
    When I started taking it 5 days later, no pins or needles.
    It was recommended by an herbalist friend.
    I was skeptical, but having tried all the usual stuff mentioned
    above, I said "what the heck". That was 4 years ago. I havent taken
    it since, havent needed to.
    But, a week ago the discomfort came back. I ordered 5 60 cap bottles
    from Puritan's Pride (www.puritan.com) I have resumed taking these
    and am awaiting the results.
    The 5 bottles were $19.99 total with free shipping
    O. P. Holder

14. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

I have had neuropathy in both my legs and my doc put me on Lamictal Xr witch has helped a lot but this is not for neuropathy it is a seizure med but it works. Also a topical gel { KETA 4%/LIDO/4% GEL}. I hope this helps , if anyone needs help in this arera please don't hesatate to call me at 423-743-9233.

thanks
    lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
neourapathy agw 60
neuropathy in old age

neuropathy in old age as you get older

old age and neuropathy
old age and neurophy
old age and nueropathy
old age neuropathy