Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Okoboji Indians

9K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Ed Y 
#1 ·
I recently Embroidered the attached Indian Head on the back of a jacket and a vest for one of your Tribe members. If any other Tribe members are interested in having this done on their jacket or vest I will be happy to do it for you. The design is 10 inches high and 7 inches wide with over 50,000 stitches.

The cost is $45.00. This includes the cost to ship it back to you.

I can be contacted by phone (352) 509-1467
email (jim@claytargetembroidery.com) or private message.

See less See more
#9 ·
Okoboji Indians
A Trap Shooting and Social Organization
106th annual POWWOW
HISTORY:
“In the summer of 1897 a small group of western sportsmen, meeting by chance at a tournament in Memphis, TN were facetiously designated ‘The Indians.’ It was one of those random shots of wit handed about at every tournament where the boys are wont to meet, but so pat to the point that it was taken up in a jocular way, and then seriously, by the men who inspired it.”

“What has since become known as the first registered Indian tournament was held .... at Clear Lake, Iowa. To be eligible to membership in ‘The Indians’ it is necessary that one be a true devotee of the art (Trap Shooting); it is desirable, though not requisite, that he be a good shot, but it is absolutely essential that he be a good fellow and a gentleman through out. The keynote of the organization... is absolute fairness in everything... in relationship of the tribe as a whole (and) with the outside world.”

106th Annual POWWOW:
Approximately 100 shooters from as far away as Arizona, Florida, New York and Michigan attended the 106th POWWOW at the Tennessee Clay Target Complex in Nashville, TN - September 23 through September 25, 2004. Scores were exceptionally high. Many perfect scores of 100 straight were entered in 16-yard events and one 100 straight and a 98 of 100 were shot in handicaps.

The weather was beautiful. The targets were great. People were impressed with Nashville and especially our shooting facility. Some of the things heard were: “What a great location,” “This is a wonderful place,” “The club house is very nice and the food is outstanding,” “When are we coming back?” “Look at that beautiful river,” “How much did this place cost?,” etc.

The Music City Sheraton was the host hotel. However, several people brought their motor homes and trailers to the TCTC grounds and camped on site. The High Chief’s party, Ladies BINGO and Brunch, and the Black Tie Banquet were held at the Sheraton. The “Dog Feast” and “Firewater” party were held at the TCTC. Song writer/Singers Don Wayne and Jimmy Payne provided entertainment for the High Chief’s Party. Nashville’s Blue Tones entertained and provided dance music for the banquet.

The ladies shopped at Opry Mills one day and visited Cheekwood the next day. Everyone enjoyed both events. Several ladies shot Trap in addition to attending the social events. Two of the ladies broke 100 x 100 16-yard targets at TCTC.

#12 ·
Founding of the Makaha Indians

In the dead of winter 1969, I received a phone call from a friend who had been called to duty flying a dive bomber in the war in Vietnam. He had moved his family to his mother’s home at Kaaawa on the windward side of Oahu so he could spend his monthly R&R with them. He was due for his trip and his three days away from the war and invited my wife and me to come to Hawaii to visit. I phoned home to discuss the trip with my wife and by that evening we had arranged for sitters for our kids and had ordered tickets to fly-off to the Sandwich Islands.

During our stay we drove around the island and stumbled upon the Makaha Golf and Country Club, then under construction. I remarked to my wife that the site would be a classic location for a gathering of Indian trapshooters who would enjoy a winter vacation.

We returned home but the memory of the site at Makaha remained. The next summer I mentioned the Indian Shoot idea to a friend who worked for Pan Am and who was also active in field trials. He knew a travel agent who enjoyed shooting so he mentioned my interest to her; we met and laid the plans for the first shoot. We sent invitations to every member of the West Coast Indian trapshooting tribes as well as others who might be interested.

The manager of the Seattle Skeet and Trap Club was offered a free trip to the shoot for him and his wife if we could borrow three traps. He would oversee the operation. We talked to the people at Makaha and were offered a strip of land at the far end of their golf driving range to set-up our fields. We sent specs for concrete bases for the traps and they were installed before I arrived to mount the traps and layout the walks. I arranged for three plywood shipping crates to be delivered to the site and set them over the traps for trap houses.

The day before the invited guests were to arrive, I was laying out walks in chalk behind each trap when a fellow walked up and asked if he could help. He was Michael Baldwin of Maui and he explained that he had recently introduced trapshooting to his island and had just finished his new gun club so was familiar with what I was doing. Fortunate for me since I was just flying by the seat of my pants. We completed the job and to this day, 39 years later, Michael and his wife Priscilla are among my best friends.

Pan Am flew targets in for the shoot and the shooters were to bring their own shells. Airline regulations at the time would permit only two (20 box) cases per flight and the 26 shooters plus their spouses were all booked on the same flight. My Pan Am pal on the Mainland prevailed on all his competitors to fly two cases on each departing flight from Seattle until all ammo had been shipped. I made daily drives to the Honolulu airport to pick-up shells that had been flown in that day. We all shot what ever was available from that day’s shipments. Roy Houseman’s reloads were available when I was to shoot and I broke a 97. Roy bragged on me thereafter, every time we crossed paths.

After several days of shooting and camaraderie we decided to establish the Makaha Indians and make our shoot an annual event. Michael Baldwin was elected our first Chief and several experienced Indians from established tribes were elected directors.

The Makaha’s meet every January, currently at the Maui Gun Club that had been built by the Baldwins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.