1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oklahoma How Can We Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by darr, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Would one of you trapshooters from Oklahoma suggest a local charity we can donate to.No offense to the Red Cross I think local charities get more bang for the buck.These storms are devastating and indiscriminate.

Darr

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

And there are more coming today

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Glenn Beck's charity has set up a fund. See link above...

Jerbear

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Here is another one that you will have to copy and paste:

http://now.msn.com/how-to-help-moore-oklahoma-tornado-victims

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

7. momma91304

momma91304 TS Member

I would have loved to donate blood but I can't because of certain medical conditions. I did make an online donation to the American Red Cross--it took less than 2 minutes. All the charities let you make a donation that way.
    David's mom

8. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I'm very fortunate. My son and his family are stationed 30 miles from Moore, Ok. where this devastating storm hit. He and his family are fine. My son is a lifer in the Marine Corp. and in charge of 80 outstanding guys. 3:00am this morning my sons cell phone started to ring off the hook. One by one his young soldiers were calling his home to volunteer to Help in anyway they could. My son was waiting for the Commander to get back to him as of our phone call. Make one proud!

9. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I couldn't figure out Beck's system.I donated to Ok. Baptist Disaster Relief.Thanks for the link.Even if you can send enough to feed someone for a day please do it.These people have literally lost it all.

Darr

10. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

The Salvation Army is a very good organization to donate to. Many, many years ago I worked several years as a fireman. If you were up all night on a large fire, I have seen them show up in the very early hours of the morning, like 2 or 3 O'clock with coffee and rolls, or a sandwich, for the firemen. No news reporters, no TV cameras, just you and them, and we now donate to them at least a couple times a year. They may not be big on getting in front of the TV cameras, but you can bet they will be there with food and whatever else might be needed for both the people who lost everything, but also to help feed the workers trying to help search and clean up. Their overhead is also very modest compared with some of better know organizations.

11. buster45

buster45 Active Member

Thank you for your generosity!!

I live very close to the damaged area and it is unbelievable how this state comes together in disasters.
    Thanks to all of the people from around the world who have donated and sent words of condolences and encouragement.

It does not surprise me that shooters would volunteer their time and money to help.

Thank you so much!!

Buster

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

OldRemFan is correct. Another good one is Americares, yesterday they were tripling your donation with some matching fund donors. Their overhead is extremely low--check them out.

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I got the Mercury One to work,,,,,,,they are giving 100% to OK..........

14. okiefarmer

okiefarmer Member

My business is only a couple miles from the path. We have several customers and family members who lost their homes. We are all trying to figure the best place to send our donations. In today's newspaper, on the front page of the business section, the Red Cross stated that the donations may not be used here but elsewhere. That forces me to Salvation Army or Baptist if I cannot find a direct need by a family. Everyone here is very "shell-shocked" and very somber. Thank God it wasn't much worse. I am thinking the schools will re-visit their policies.

15. okiefarmer

okiefarmer Member

I need to make a correction. I went back and re-read the article. The Red Cross is saying that funds that are texted may be used elsewhere. THis has already amounted to several million dollars. A representative of the local chapter has
    promised that all funds donated to the local organization will be used exclusively for relief efforts in Okla. Sorry about the confusion.

16. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

Try going to KFOR.com. This is a local NBC station and they have a list of organizations, churches, etc. who are helping the tornado victims on their web site. KFOR is a very community minded station and does a lot for the Oklahoma City and surrounding areas.

Tom

17. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

18. twotimer

twotimer Member

Most of the churches will put 100% of what is donated to good use. Our Lions club donated to their Lions club which are also a 100% to good use. Mike

19. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Our Mason lodge is in the process of sending a trailer load out that way!

20. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

I gave through my Church. They obviously take credit card info on the phone or online.

http://www.lcms.org/disaster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.