1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Okay, just what is locktime?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Still fairly new to all of this and in reading a recent thread about Ljutic part of the discussion was around lock time. I wasn't able to figure out just what was meant by that phrase..?

Chuck

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Chuck,

Lock-time is the time between trigger pull/release and firing pin striking the primer.

ec90t

3. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Chuck,

Locktime is the interval of time between the release of the trigger sear and ignition of the primer.....best way I can word it. Hope this helps.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dave, I suggest modification of your good definition to the time between release of the hammer, or other striking mechanism, by the sear or hook, and when the firing pin strikes the primer.

Lock time is measured without primer ignition.

Lock time, as you pointed out, is not the time between the beginning of pulling/releasing the trigger and when the gun goes off.

Pat Ireland

5. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

lock time is something to talk about and nothing to be concerned about.

6. Nebraskashooter

Nebraskashooter Member

Lock time is some thing that you absolutely do NOT need to worry about but a gun manufacturer or two thought they would make some thing out of nothing to try and sell their guns.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If precision trap shooting is a game of inches which it happens to be according to the pros, why wouldn't lock time be important? Try telling precision long range rifle shooters it isn't important, that too is a game of inches. Hap

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If you want an example of sloooow lock time, borrow a Browning Recoilless and shoot a round with it.

You'll understand then.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

timb99,

I was also thinking of a Beretta 390/391. I've never shot a recoiless.

ec90t

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

timb99, a fellow I know has always had a flinching problem. He thought maybe it would help if he shot one of those too. Sometimes when he'd fire it, he'd walk forward about 3 to 4 steps! Made his flinch even worse! Hap

11. Nebraskashooter

Nebraskashooter Member

I have shot my 1100 field, then my ljutic and then turned right around and shot a silver sietz with NO difference in scores. All 25's.

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Lock Time is not important to most shooters but Consistency is . Now don,t think you can go from a fast lock time to a slow and not see the difference . I agree with Jerry it,s all about timing and the difference will cost you targets . The shooters that think his gun is very fast never shot a Mach-1 or Silver Seitz .
    ALF

13. Nebraskashooter

Nebraskashooter Member

If you take the difference in time from the slowest(excluding that p.o.s. recoiless) to the fastest lock time you will see that is milliseconds at most. There is no way that it TRULY makes a difference!!! PERIOD!!
    Now if you fall into the brainwashing so you THINK it makes a difference then it probably does affect you but in reality it is the mind games you are playing with yourself and not the miniscule difference in lock time.

14. Nebraskashooter

Nebraskashooter Member

Alf; read my post right above yours. I have also shot whole ata events with all the guns without any difference in scores.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry- When you shoot an 1100 followed by a Mach 1, you would be comparing trigger travel time plus lock time. The trigger travel time is much greater than the lock time. I can't remember Neil's calculations on this question a few months ago. He did compare the fastest lock time to a very slow lock time and barrel movement speed at the maximum angle. I seem to remember that lock time differences would result in less than 1/16 of an inch barrel movement.

Pat Ireland

16. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

If lock time make no diff., why do nearly all the Seitz shooters have to raise their POI 3"?

17. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

I shoot a low rib 90-T at appx. 70/30 poi. I shot the demo infinity last saturday with Dennis DeVault while doing a fitting and he had the gun set up to 105%. He didn't tell me it was shooting that high. I was breaking targets hard and center. I probably would not have believed it until I experienced it. Josh Andersen

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

90T It may not have been shooting that high for you . But it was way higher then your 70/30 . I tell people a Silver Seitz needs to be 20% higher then what they are shooting now . I do believe that is one reason you see some about new Seitz guns selling used people buy them shooting to flat .

ALF

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Locktime matters in the world of photography...that's why rangefinder Leicas have, all else being equal, sharper negatives than those produced by an slr at an equal shutter speed. I've been behind the action with my Leica at Dodger games after I used my Nikon. Really, that happens, and the slow locktime of a digital camera can drive one to frustration when trying to catch the moment.

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's the time between when you file for divorce and your wife changes the locks on the house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.