1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Okay. I just got an Allem Release installed.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DTrykow, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hi everyone. Well after years of reading, studying, changing/tuning triggers, guns, and listening to all of the advice and reading your professional opinions, I got a release from Allem's on my K-80. He put a #3 roller on which he said 99% of the shooters stay with. He said shoot it 500 to 1000 times to verify that everything is working and the roller size is right. Just looking for feed-back concerning when to set the release, tips on how to dismount and unload. And just general discussion. I'm already getting I need warning stickers etc from the pull guys. Thanks, Dave T.

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Dave. First off... Don't listen to me. But I have a concussion issue and it gets me to the point I cannot set the trigger on a closed gun. So I have my Perazzi about halfway closed and set the trigger, close the gun, mount and shoot. Others set the trigger with the gun open too. But let them tell you about their issue.

3. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

Hi Dave

I have a Allem's Roller Release in both my K80 and my MX10RS. I have had no problems with them and I really like they way they feel. Crisp, smooth and fast.
    Numerous shooters ask to try the releases and everyone like them.

I don't even touch the trigger till the gun is mounted and I'm about ready to call for the target. To dismount, I use my left hand to open the action while making sure I have not relaxed my grip on the stock or trigger.

I had a few no-no's but it didn't take long to get used to the differences from a pull trigger.

You will be more than satisfied.

Vern

4. MOP

MOP Active Member

I'm one of those who has to set the trigger before closing the gun and mounting. This was caused by triggers pulling through or release set too light. My mind will not let me comfortably set the trigger once the gun is closed and mounted.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't have an Allem's Release but i do shoot a release. I set the trigger after shouldering the gun. ALWAYS keep it pointed down range and that way any unintentional firings are down range no harm no foul. It WILL happen sooner or later.

To unset my release, i follow "Vern's" instruction exactly. Its easy to relax that trigger finger too early. Practice it and practice it with a snap cap. You will have times when its necessary to do it and you want to be comfortable when it happens.

Matt

6. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Back when I started shooting a release, Phil Kiner told me the quickest way to get used to a double release was shooting 100 doubles from post 2 & 4. Worked for me, but I also followed his advice to dry fire at home with snap caps to get used to opening the gun after no target, etc. Thanks again Phil, hope it helps others. Harv.

7. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

I'm very glad to see this posting as I to am in the process of switching to a release trigger and have been very interested in Allems roller release.I have found that a release that is a little on the slow side works best for me and have been told that in time I will be wanting a faster release.I was planning on calling Allems to find out how much it would cost to put a roller release in my MX trigger.I'm still not sure if I want to go with a double release or a single release for doubles.The release I've been using is a Bowen double release but its at times hard to remember to let go of the trigger the second time thats why I'm thinking of a release pull by Allems to be put in my spare trigger.I'm thinking that the roller release would be the way to go as if in the future I decide I need a faster release then all I would need to do is change the roller.Is changing the roller a simple process?Thanks for this thread and I will be reading all responses with great interest. Hugo "Moe" Rinke

8. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

MIchmoe..

I don't think you'll change from the normal #3 roller. It is plenty fast enough. I have and prefer release/pull triggers...but that is my personal preference and may not be for others. Changing the roller is not hard just use some common sense and take your time.

When you call Allems, Nancy will provide answers to any questions you might have and schedule your work to be done. In the mean time, check out the above website for great pics and even more details from John Jr.

Vern

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I'd give your current setup at least 500 rounds before trying to tinker with it. The whole ideal is to find a system that works for you, the more you tinker the longer the learning curve.

10. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Thanks guys,I don't mean to hijack Daves thread but I'm wondering, being new to this release stuff,why the need or advantage of a double release? I know a couple of very good doubles shooters here from Michigan that shoot double releases and am wondering why when it seems the release pull would be quicker? I'll be giving Allems a call Monday.Thanks.

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Dave. HOw long was the wait? Or turnaround?

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hi guys: There was a three month wait. Five day turnaround. I was put on the list and called when to send in my receiver/trigger. michmoe: I'm going with release/pull. Don't shoot much doubles. Yet. The spare rollers are $25.00 each. Don't forget this can be returned to pull/pull which was important to me. I'm a computer guy and always have resale and "backwards compatability" stuck in my brain. Being away on business and vacation I haven't had time to start to shoot it yet. I have a DryFire in my Cave so will be starting with that first. Dave T.

13. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I have an Allem's single release on my MX2000. I have the first version before the roller. Still use pull on second doubles bird with no issues.

I had started flinching and borrowed a friends trigger, went off to the practice trap, missed the first target and broke the next 49. Hopefully you will adjust to it as quickly as I did.

I do have to chuckle when people tell me release triggers can "pull through." I haven't examined every gunsmiths release but I've yet to see one that could possibly "pull through." What is happening is that the shooter is relaxing enough to release the trigger.

My biggest adjustment came with safety issues. I had to practice opening the gun with my left hand while holding back the release. I've had no accidental discharges but, in the beginning, you do have to think about it if you get a "no bird" or any other interruption.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I shoot a rfelease trigger on buddy shoots and you have to open the gun every time your partner breaks his target. I shoot a Ljutic and use my left hand to opwn the gun, I squeeze the trigger assy and front button, I put my thumb on the rear of the trigger and with forefinger depress the opening button to open the gun.

A top lever gun is a lot easier to get used to, like Kolar, Perazzi, Kreighoff,
    Blaser etc.

I could personally could never use a release pull on doubles, I know others can, but I flinch any time I pull a trigger, except when hunting game in the field.

I also shoot a lot of barn pigeons with my trap gun.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. njuliano

njuliano Member

DTryKow - I went to the Allem Roller (w/ standard roller) about a year ago do to a flinch issue. I found it to be PLENTY FAST in addition is has fixed my flintch problem. Highly recommend one. As for Release/Release or Release / Pull setup. I found Release / Pull to be faster and would go with Release / Pull unless you needed it for the second shot in doubles. As for safety - always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction (normal safety stuff) and practice the dismount / open action of the gun without live ammo to get used to it. I only set the trigger once gun is up and ready, just before calling for the target.

Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.