1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ok to Dry Fire A Krieghoff Model 32 or K80

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skip, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Member

I never dry fire anything I own except any of my Glock pistols.

Someone said it's ok to dry fire a Model-32 or K-80 Krieghoff with out a dummy shell in the chamber and it wouldn't cause any damage to the firing pin.

Anyone know for sure?

2. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I STRONGLY concur with the previous posts. DO NOT dry-fire a K-80, unless you have a snap cap (dummy shell) in the chamber. Why do you think Krieghoff installs a permanent protector in their unsingle barrels?

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

This is from "Ask Alan" on the Krieghoff UK web site:

"It is a good idea to release the hammers when the gun is in storage as it does take tension off the mainsprings so that they last longer. That said, I almost never do it on my K-80 and never had a misfire problem. The springs will last between annual services and beyond without problem and we always change them as a part of the service anyway. I should also mention that you do not need to use snap caps in a K-80. It does no harm at all to pull the trigger without anything in the chamber. I am always a little wary of snap caps anyway as I feel there is a danger that they could be confused with a cartridge when you only see the head."

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Jeff at Kolar told me it's perfectly OK to dry fire a Kolar.

5. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Was told the same thing at Ottsville Pa. No need to use a snap cap with my KX-5.....
    Philly D

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Probably not

but

I have done it a zillion times without a cap and nothing bad has ever happened

I actually have never asked

Gene

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

LOL!!! Good one, Lit.

8. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I have dry fired my Kolar many times with no problems.

Jeff said you can do it all you want.

Time will tell.

Bo

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I think the "permanent" snap cap in the stub barrel is there to prevent some absent minded trapshooter from putting a live round in there and firing it off. And sooner or later it would happen if it wasn't plugged.

10. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

A gunsmith at KI in Ottsville told me it's okay. (I forget his name at the moment.) I was doubtful, but it appears others have been told the same.

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am anal.

Even if it is OK to dry fire on an empty chanber, I prefer not to.

Plus, it gives me an excuse to buy those lovely wooly snap caps that Krieghoff sells for $15 each. I just love "tricking out" my guns.

Don

12. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

As was explained to me in the past as to dry firing any weapon is it depends on the firing pin. If I remember correctly the older firing pins that are kind of pointy like a needle you should avoid dryfiring since the pointy needley types of pins can get stuck in the hole but the rounded types that are not pointy but more straight in the sides of the pins will not get stuck and will extract back into the little hole.

Basiclly it was all dependent upon the firing pin or pins that you have in your gun so maybe the answer is yes and maybe the answer is no but the only way to answer your question is by asking what type of firing pin or pins do you have in your gun?

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Please don't dry fire Perazzi's-you'll be sorry!!

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Kreighoff puts a permanent snap cap with a cross pin in front of it in the lower chamber of the un-single not to protect the firring pin but to protect people. If that space were open, you could fire a shell in the short sealed tube. Look at an unsingle and imagine what would happen if someone did this.

Pat Ireland

15. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Excuse me, but this thread is nuts and the answer is obvious.

The new K-80 TS unsingle has a spring loaded surface for the top firing pin. From the factory. Comes with 3 blue wolly snap caps. Each with built-in firing pin protectors. What bigger endorsement for firing pin protection do you need?

And if you can't tell the difference between a blue wolly snap cap and a loaded shell, a firing pin is the least of your problems. Put the gun down and find your golf clubs!

Like closing a loaded gun with the barrel muzzle resting on your toes. It can be done, for a while, but just not a good idea.

16. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Chris Maest from Clay Target Sports told me to dry fire my K80 when I am finished shooting then break it down.

The only time you may have a problem with dry firing is if you break it down then dry fire it when those fin-type things are hanging down. If the firing pin smacks one of them, you can break it or the firing pin. I used to watching guys flip the receiver upside down to flip the fins back up then dry fire it.

Chris recommended just to close the gun, snap it twice to release both firing pins then remove the comb and barrel.

He is a K-dealer, and I think he was a smithy up at Ottsville.

I'll take his word for it.

17. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Well, you do not dry fire a .22 because the firing pin tip will strike the edge of the breach. The .22 is a rim fire and the rim of an empty .22 gun is the forged steel end of the breach. For similar (not identical) reasons you do not want to dry fire the K80.

If Colt says it is OK to dry fire its M16, do it. Colt made it. The gov't can buy another anyway. Same with the M14. A battle rifle is expendable. My K80 ain't.

I do not have the power to tax. Krieghoff says to use nice blue wolly snap caps for its firing pins. It provides them to the purchaser.

Colt don't make Krieghoffs and neither did some yahoo who wants to sell you another gun ... or firing pin.

18. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I just came from KI in Penn. THe service manager dry fired my Old Model 32 a dozen times without hesitation. And I had snap caps. Dave T.

19. perga1

perga1 Active Member

oleolliedawg, you should have told me that 18 years ago. I guess I can expect a problem one of these days. Giacomo dry fires Perazzi's all the time and told me when I bought mine in 1989 that dry firing was fine. JRM

20. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Look, the woolly snap caps are irrelevant.

It's the Krieghoff folks telling us that dry firing is okay. I remember the gunsmith's name now whom I dealt with last time at KI. Don dry fired my K-80 in front of me before putting it in the case. When I asked about it, he said it's perfectly alright. Several posters have stated they've been told the same thing, the latest being Dave T. They're not lying and neither am I.

Maybe some of you think it's a dark conspiracy to make us take our guns in for service more often? [wink]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dry fire krieghoff k 80