1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ok, so which is it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by det131, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. det131

det131 Member

In recent threads regarding pressures and using the same load in Rem. or Win AA hulls the following statements have been made that appear to contradict one another. Assuming the same components in both hulls which would have the lower pressure?

1. “comparing an example of the same recipe on the Alliant site in a Remington vs. a Win AA's hull. It appears that the Win AA's have a higher pressure (around 2000) than the Remington for the same recipe”

2. “AA hulls have less internal capacity than Remington hulls. The same components in a smaller space will yield higher peak pressures.”

3. “I shoot a load that is in an AA hull. It has less pressure than in a Remington”

4. “Reducing case volume will give lower pressures (more for rifle or pistol loads - but also explains differences between straight wall and tapered shotgun hulls)”

Someone asked me if he set up for just one load should he use the AA recipe and load it in both the Rem. and Win. hulls or vice versa?

My advice was to separate the cases and load each according to published data. Simplicity does not trump safety and the only thing he can, “Set it and forget it,” is his table top oven.

Jim

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Jim,

From the Alliant web site:

with 1 1/8 oz of shot and fig 8 wad and Win. 209's

STS hull 18 gr. of Red Dot - 9500 PSI

AA hull 17.5 gr of Red Dot - 9900 psi

Does this help?

Don Verna

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

According to Hodgdon's data

STS Hull

Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Clays Rem. 209P Windjammer 17.5 9,500 PSI 1145

AA Hull

Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Clays Rem. 209P Windjammer 17.5 9,400 PSI 1145

4. det131

det131 Member

Dverna & Remstar311, exactly my point.

Two published sets of data one reflects a significant pressure increase in the Remington hull, the other shows an increase in pressure in the Winchester hull. Guessing safe loads based on hull capacity, or any other formula, is why we see threads titled, "Another xxx blows up."

Recipe for success: Published data, listed components, weigh, and load accordingly.

Jim

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've mixed them up so my shell boxes look like Christmas for 25 years. I've never given it a thought and never seen any reason to.

400 PSI is not a significant pressure difference, believe me. You can get that sort of difference comparing Tuesday to Wednesday.

I noticed the reduced case volume post too. My results are the other way.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.