1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OK, lets talk about another Spolar problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slugbug1, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Since were discussing Spolar..I'm having a heck of a time with my primer feed system. As the primer tips from the tray into the slot, quite often the next primer slides in behind it and stops it from falling down the chute. This happens with Winchester primers, I didn't seem to have any problems with the Remington's I used before. I called Spolar but got the answering machine so.....help me out. GaryL.

2. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

adjust the slide closer to the primer tray and make sure it is lined up

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Slugbug1, If Rem's work, why change. Also I had occasional primer issues until I saw a comment Dixie had made some where about bolting the machine solidly to the bench. I thought I had with bolts, they were maybe 5/16, I don't remember, so I put the largest bolt in that the machine base would take and my issue went away. Great machine, good luck, Bob

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Gary,
    I've never had this problem, but I would go back to the manual and

make sure the primer chute is lined up the way it should be.

I interchange Win and Rem primers with no probs.

Mike C.

Groveland, CA

5. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Slug,

I have problem from time to time. I cured my problem by first removing all the primers and cleaning and waxing the primer tray. This keeps the primers feeding continuously and smoothly to the ramp. And secondly by adjusting the primer ramp slightly off center of the tray. This keeps the primers staged before falling into the ramp. It may take a couple of slight adjustments to get it right. I have a hydraulic and load as quick as it will cycle without a hitch.

Ken

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What I do with my primer tray is I clean the tray off with alcohol. In your case do the tray and the slide. Be carefull with the slide so not to bend it. Once it is as clean as you can get it wax both parts. I use bowling ally wax amd it does great. I put a thick coating on the tray and then buff it to a shine.

7. pullll

pullll Member

Gary, for the most part each primer manufactures equipment is just a little different then stamping out primers. You need to look closely at the variation of each companies primer. That being said there are several steps that will help resolve the problem. First is to slide around the electrical contacts on the vibration motor to get good electrical contact, if they are very slightly loose or dirty you will hear a difference in the RPM of said motor. The second is to reverse the rotation of of the motor by simply switching the wires. These are DC motors so you can not hurt them by reversing polarity. You might need to change direction when changing primers as Remington and Winchester seem to like a different harmonic vibration. Worked for me.

8. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Gary, For Pete's sake,please call.
    You don't have the track attached to the tray correctly,the correct adjustment is in the manual or call me on my cell, if you listen to the message on the answering machine I tell you my cell number or you can leave a messae and one of us will return your call, 800 227 9667.
    DicksieSpolar

9. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Ok, spoke with Dicksie and got some guidance. Will try it tomorrow.

10. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Well, it's working great again. Dixie confirmed a couple of things you guys suggested; the track wasn't aligned quite right, and I had to reverse the wires on the motor to spin the vibrator the other direction. Sounds crazy but it worked. The nice thing about it was I was able to talk to Dixie at her home last night on her cell, and she called me today to see if I had fixed the problem. Thats pretty neat. Thanks to all who offered suggestions. GaryL.

11. shootsun

shootsun TS Member

No substitute for Spolar Loader or the Customer Service!

Shane

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I found the Chedite primers seem to feed better than the AA.. seldom a misfeed. Also, this may sound rude or cruel, but some people just should not reload, in fact, some should not use electricity. I had an assistant prinicpal with 4 computers in his office and not one was working properly... I think he had trouble turning on his light switch. Fred

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Fred, That's too funny but not all wrong. Years ago I started with a Lyman Easy for a year or so, then to a Texan, to a PW, and finally on to a Spolar. Today a lot of people start out with the progressive's not really understanding the different components and their relative importance. It's awful easy to screw up if you don't know any better. Bob

14. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Typical Spolar - one tweak and it's perfect. Interestingly, mine only likes Win 209 primers. Everything else has problems. Spolar is AWESOME!

15. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Fred....if that some people just should not reload barb was aimed at me, I just want you to know................When I went downstairs to reload I had no problem turning on the light switch. GaryL.

16. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

You guys are absolutely correct about the reloader being securely fastened to the table.
    We supply Slotted Machine Screws to attach the reloader to the base for several reason: They are chamfered so they fit the holes in the base perfectly and eliminate slop. If anyone is using regular bolts, they will not only wear the finish off the base plate, they look ugly.
    Also, we send large washers to use under the nuts to help prevent the nuts from sinking into the table, which will also loosens the loader, check the tightness of the nuts once in a while. Another thing to do every once in a while is to have someone watch the top of the shot and powder bottles while you are loading, if they are moving back and forth, they are loose, or the bolts on the loader are loose or you have flex in your reloading bench.
    Dicksie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjusting primer feed on spolar