1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ok, adj comb and maybe even ATA

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Put moleskin on my stock to raise eye level. Didn't notice much difference (the first time) in number of targets hit but hits were harder.

Well last night went out and tried it again (2nd time with moleskin). My goodness, I actually ran 50 (YAHOO)! Had a 95 of 100. Followed the 50 with a 21 (lots of distraction with a brand new shooter on squad) and then a 24.

I realize the 21 was my own falult for letting the distractions get to me.

Will stop this afternoon at Shooters Emporium (Portland Or) and see about adj comb and then who knows might actually have to try some registered targets.
    I might learn to like this game.

Thanks again to those that answered my questions regarding dynamics of raising eye to raise POI and again on adj comb questions.

Chuck

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Yes, it helps when you get the gun shootin' where you're lookin'.

Good luck on the ATA registered, shoot well and have fun!

John C. Saubak

3. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Duct tape will work well too but you have to make sure that you go straight up with thin strips right on top of the comb then cover it with a larger piece to cover all the little rough edges. Tape won't smash down like moleskin will after time. Then if you like it well enough, you can spend the $150.00 on an adjustable comb and KNOW that it will help. Raise it enough to where you start missing then back it down. Pattern your gun on paper. All of the shot should be above where you were aiming. Good luck and shoot well and join the ATA. John

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I'm such a cheapskate that I still use the Meadow Industries 'Convert A Stock Pad' on both of my P guns. Actually I like the feel of soft sorbothane against my cheek rather than hard walnut.

5. starship

starship TS Member

One issue that was pointed out to me while just chatting with a shooting instructor. If I use anything that wraps around/over the comb then I'm not only raising my eye but also pushing my cheek away from the gun.

Hmmm, food for thought.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

That's true, starship. I wanted to bring that up originally but figured you had enough to think about in your original quest. Wrapping anything around the stock will certainly help in raising the placement of your vision but will push your face the same amount away from the stock. So, using the moleskin was helping you in the up and down placement but would have slightly changed the left/right position of your eye. You obviously dealt well with it or, lo and behold, you needed a bit of adjustment in the left/right position since you seem to be breaking targets a lot better. You'll want to consider this when setting up the comb for yourself once the adj. comb is in place. Moe could assist you in a starting point and then maybe some patterning for POI....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.