1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil vs. gloss finish

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by ryan_687, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan_687

ryan_687 TS Member

Which do you like and why? I feel both have pros and cons. I like the oil...I feel it makes the grain of the wood show better. The gloss at times can look like plastic. Also less up keep with the oil. Gloss shows every scratch and ding!!! Just my opinion! Whats everyone else thing?

Thanks,
    ryan

2. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I have removed the gloss poly finish on both 101's
    I finished the pigeon w/a oil finish Dem-bart oil.
    The diamond grade was finished with a tru oil finish.
    lots of coats on both. wet sand with 800 grit to finish. The both look fantastic. so much wood grain and colors have come out.

Jason in PA

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Tru-oil is not a true oil like linseed oil or pure tung oil. It is modified and dries to a hard glossy finish. Put it on thick enough and it will look exactly like a "gloss poly finish". The wood will look best when all of the grain is filled to a smooth finish.

4. quartering

quartering Active Member

i assume you mean oil vs. poly. polyurethane absolutely makes the color, grain and definition jump out of the wood. but as you stated, it looks like the wood is coated in a sheath of plastic. oil is a traditional finish, darkens some with age, but better gives you the natural look and feel of wood. plus it's easy to touch up. i prefer the oil finished woods

5. ryan_687

ryan_687 TS Member

thanks for the info everyone!

Ryan

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

When I restocked my Ljutic 20 years ago I used a polymerized oil finish (Flecto Varathane Plastic Oil...was sold in Canada...no longer produced). The next year I applied the gloss urethane finish. I have used that method on several stocks and am very happy with the results...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.