1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

oil to store guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Oil suggestion needed to store guns in safe to protect guns from rusting? Thanks

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Ballistol. Metal, wood, and leather.

Wayne

3. guthooked

guthooked Member

I use corrosive x works for me.

4. APrice

APrice Active Member

RIG is good, but a little messy for guns that are handled frequently. Brownell's Rust Preventative No.2 is the best I've used. Clenzoil is a close second and smells much better.

5. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

When I store in a gun case, I'll wrap the metal in Cut-rite waxed paper to keep the gun oil on the metal versus being absorbed by the gun case whether a hard or soft case. This works for about 1 year if in long-term storage. BT100dc

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Luucas Gun Oil works well for me

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Earl,

How long you been buying expensive K guns and you are just now inquiring about storage?? Are you bored?

8. lwr_

lwr_ Member

RIG!!!!!!!!

9. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

barricade

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Earl:

If you want something that works but isn't a heavy grease, consider BREAK FREE COLLECTOR. You don't have go by rumors or wonder how it performs -- click the link and see the proof. The last picture I posted is the most telling. As you can see, BFC allowed amazingly little pitting despite an incredibly nasty test.

-Gary

11. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I have done the homework on this one. Renaissance Wax (made in England) is used at Museums all over the world to preserve weapons, furniture, leather, paintings, metals and Ivory. Camellia Oil (made in Japan) is used to preserve blade steel such as knives and centuries old Samurai Swords. "Gun Collectors" that I have asked, at our annual Collectors Show in Denver, all seem to use G96 Gun Treatment at the shows. One old-timer with the biggest collection of Parker Shotguns anywhere told me it keeps finger-prints from turning to tears. G96 is sold at most gun shops and I believe Midway sells it, too. I bought my Renaissance Wax and Camellia Oil from a wood working tool supplier online years ago after a Google search. Never store knives in a leather sheath, or guns in leather holsters as it will stain the metal. Petroleum based oils and grease will usually soak into the wood eventually.

Duane

[​IMG]

12. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

I agree with GW22, BREAK FREE COLLECTORS. Been using it for a few years, goes on nicely and I have NO rust or defects on metal. I will also use CLENZOIL at times, feel it safer on the wood and other non-metal surfaces .Both are excellent products.

13. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Clenzoil by the gallon.
    Doug Allison
    [​IMG]

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Thanks guys! Jeff

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Clenzoil has proven to be the best product I have used over many years ... Use it on metal, wood, and leather, never tried it for mouth wash ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with a product called "Fluid Film". Developed for the Navy to stop rust and corrosion of ship-board equipment, it contains lanolin and will stay EXACTLY where it's put! Contains no solvents so there are no VOCs to evaporate into a closed cabinet or safe and mess up plastic and rubber. It's available from John Deere dealers and from a variety of online dealers (use "Google").

Keller

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Snyder, any oil will work if the fingerprints are wiped off and the gun is stored in a humidity controlled environment. Do you keep a gun long enough to rust?

Now if you are going to store it on the back porch all winter, a thick coating of any grease will work. I have had guns stored in my safe for years with a light coating of oil, they are fine.

For serious storage of metal, I have a product called Boeshield T9. Developed by Boeing Aircraft. From Brownells.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Rig is the best I ever found. Been using it for 40 years, never a prob

19. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I got to add one for Ren Wax. Do the research on this stuff, it will sell itself. Break Free is good for cleaning and I like Collector for inside the barrels on anything that will be stored for any length of time. But for anything else, and especially anything blued, go with Ren Wax.

HJH

20. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I like Eezox. Will look at BF COLLECTORS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

camellia oil for guns

can you use camellia oil on shotguns

good oil to preserve guns and knives