1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil soaked wood

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PA101_guy, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Hi all,

I remember a post a while ago that shared techniques for "leaching" oil from a stock damaged by excessive lubrication. Can't find it in search and would appreciate it if anyone could refresh my memory on it.

Thanks in advance.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Heat the wood and the oil will rise to the surface. Wipe off with solvent and repeat. HMB

3. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Dave,

I don't know if this link copy and paste will work, but click on the link above to find out. If not, the thread, if I'm correct, was mine from April 24, 2008 and it was titled, 'How to Clean a Stained Stock'. Good luck.

LA

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

mineral spirits

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Brownell's used to have a powder avail for that express purpose. You might do a catalog search-Brownells.com

6. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

...called whiting. I have never tried it.

7. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Found whiting on Brownells site...looks to be worth a try. thanks for the help :)

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

8. 1881home

1881home TS Member

Take Brownell's whiting compound, mix it with trichlorethane, to make a paste. Pack the oil soaked area with the paste, and leave it sit for a day or two, totally undisturbed. It will turn taqn or brown with the oil that it draws out. Redo this procedure until it stops staining the whiting. Its a slow job, but it will get it all out. It helps if the finish is removed and you are planning on refinishing the firearm. Before refinishing, soak the stock in laquer thinner, and blow it dry with compressed air.

Just so you know, I once was refinishing an old, old, Krieghoff 32, and it took six months to get the old oil out. When finished, the stock was beatiful, and I refinished it with a small tint of english red stain, also available from Brownell's.

Good luck, and don't get in a hurry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

soaking wood in oil