1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil on guns???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Frank C, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

What is best to put on guns after cleaning to avoid rusty fingerprints etc. Light oil? Silicone spray on a rag? This is NOT long term storage I am talking about, the gun comes out of the safe once or twice a week to be exercised...

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I recieved these in my stocking this Christmas....

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I just spary a light coat of oil on the metal wipe it down with a soft cloth and put it in the safe until next time I'm going to shoot. For long term storage I'll spray it down with some rust protectant such as "Barracade". If you have very oily/acidic hands I suggest wearing rubber gloves so as not to get the oils from your fingers on it. Also be sure to spray a ligh coat of oil on a patch and run it through the barrel too.

4. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Shooter's Choice, cut 30% with Kroil.

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

The ability of Kroil to inhibit rust or corrosion is nearly zero - I also like to wipedown with Breakfree CLP.

6. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

It's not for long term storage, so I don't care much, Gary. It's better than fingerprints on bare metal.

7. old george

old george TS Member

For the last forty years I have used RIG.Apply it with a soft cloth but a sheepskin is better.No fingerprints and even good in the rain.

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Rig is the greatest also their Rig plusP for stainless is great for Ruger Red labels on the trunions as those are not as replaceable as many other shotguns. The rig leaves a good coating the fingerprints do not penetrate. I also use Gunzilla a rather new product. www.topduckproducts.com check it out. I understand the troops inthe sand box love it! Bill

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

RIG is certainly one of the best, perhaps the very best, for long term rust prevention. RIG is an acronym for Rust Inhibiting Grease.

For short term storage, just about anything will work. I have an old rag that lays around my cleaning area. I have no idea what type of oils are in it. I wipe my gun down with this rag and rust is not a problem.

Pat Ireland

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Old bacon grease works too. When ya go to shooting and the barrel warms up----- smells like breakfast cooking.

Gne J

11. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

G96..Best oil around. Lightly coat all surfaces, and I mean light! This oil has been around for decades..........Rob

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

My votes for Rig also. Put about a tablespoon on a cotton rag or small towel and work it in good. Store in a plastic container. Good for wood and metal. A small can lasts a lifetime.

Regards Gerald

13. BustClays

BustClays Member

rig grease

bustclays

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There is no better product than this, or easier to use. The Chamois cloth holds oil for a long time, and there is a felt pad in the bottom of the jar that recharges the cloth. When finally your chamois cloth loses effectiveness you can reload the cloth and felt pad.

I have been using this for 30 years. I do not wipe down the guns every time I use them unless there is a need, like fingerprints or exposure to moisture.

HM

15. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Halfmile,

I used Rustprufe for years. I even resurrected an old jar and washed the sponge, put in one of these orange, "soak it up" cloths and soaked the sponge with on of Casey's products - can't think of the name.

I did all of this because I do not believe that Rustprufe is available any longer. Is yours new or is it a photo from long ago?

If it is new, where did you get it?

16. harleyhog

harleyhog TS Member

like Ole George nd Pay, I use Rig on a sheepskin wipe, keep it in a sealable plastic baggy. I use it for long and short term. I use nothing else. I have guns that I have been wiping with it after rains shoots etc for over 40 years

17. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Boeshield T-9"...bike shops and gun supply outfits sell it, Developed by Boeing to prevent rust/corrosion on aircraft parts. No effort wasted on lubrication, it's purely a metal surface protection.
    <center>[​IMG]</img></center>
    Morgan

18. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

been using wd40 for forty years with no problems with the likes of fabbris, purdeys, perazzis, and even an old lc smith.use what you will as every body has the answer.

19. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Birchwood Casey Sheath. Spray it on a piece of sheep skin. Less greasy than RIG. Leaves a protective coating - something WD-40 will not do.

Jim Skeel

20. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

I don't like the idea of "spraying" anything on a firearm that has the wood attached. Unless, of course, you like oil soaked wood.

I use Kendal CML for short term, a week or so, and Breakfree for short or long term. CML is a good penetrant and solvent to cut through crud but can't handle much moisture. Breakfree will last a lot longer. Another good long term product is Corrosion X which was developed for the aircraft industry to control corrosion. At a boat show I saw a TV that had been dipped into the product and then dropped into a container of water and was still playing. So, it works on avionics as well. Used it on my Evinrude and it really controls rust in our salty environment. Good for storage on CLEAN rifle bores too.

Just coat/soak a rag with your favorite product and store it in a glass jar with a tight lid and keep it on your bench. Do your spraying into the jar, not onto the gun!

Be careful spraying ANY penetrant/solvent around scopes and binoculars. They will find their way into the optics.

WD40 is useful for cleaning oil off the belly of a piston engine airplane. Cuts the crud. Don't like it for guns though. It will actually build up a varnish-like coating that can be flaked off with your fingernail if used over a long period of time.

IMHO!!!!!!!!!!

The Bayrat - Erol Tucker
    POC, TX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

boeshield for trap shotguns

g96best gun oil

grease soaked chamois for guns