1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil is straining economy....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Some states would beg for this type of strain.....

2. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Eddie,

I live on top of the Barnet Shale in North Texas. I am not in the oil business.

With all due respect you know not of what you speak. Frac'ing is done at about six thousand feet below the ground level. Our deepest water table is no deeper than around four hundred feet. It is not the frac'ing that is causing the methane gas in the water wells. Be careful of believing hype that is sponsored by those with an agenda that is un-American.

Respectfully,

HBT

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Nice photoshop Eddie.....

4. porky

porky TS Member

Old texas marine--With all due respect--You too should be aware that oil was first sucessfully drilled in Penna, not Texas. Oil was on the surface and very close to the surface. The first oil wells were 100- 300 feet down. It is the States, up north, that are halting the Fracking due to the poisons that are being injected into the shale, fairly close to the surface by drilling standards up north, and is ruining wells due to the fracking liquids containing poisons and getting into the underground aquifers and running to the wells. And it isn't un-American to say that big business is doing something wrong. As far as the methane goes, it is everywhere it seems, but the fracking can make it show up in really big ways. I don't have fracking in my area, but when my well gets low, I can light the methane gas when I turn the faucet on, but only after the gases in the pipes have risen to the top, which is about 10 minutes or so of waiting.

5. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Git,

I remember from Jr. High history classes about the Penn. oil discovery and early uses of petroleum.. Gas wells are a different breed of cat, however. How deep is the Penn. shale? How deep is the shale deposit that was discovered in the northern Rockies that we have yet to develop?

I have a good friend that is a rig superintentdent for Patterson. He just got transferred back from Penn. to OK City. i will ask him how deep they are drilling for GAS (not oil) in Penn.

Your mention of methane in your well where there is no fracking going on is my point exactly.

Thanks for your input. I just get so tired of the left demonising industries that make all our lives better.

HBT

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

HBT, The gas wells in Pa. are a few thousand feet deep, well below the water aquifer. The methane gas coming from a water faucet's has been happening for more then 50 years, and it was very common for property owners to have a gas well drilled for their personal consumption.

7. bemils

bemils TS Member

The methane in water wells is probably from the coal seams that are much shallower than the Marcellus formation. I think I read somewhere that the family pictured above has had methane in their drinking water well long before any Marcellus wells were drilled in the area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.