1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil in stock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DS-AA, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DS-AA

DS-AA Member

If it's not too bad an oil soak, run down to the supermarket and buy a can of K2R spot remover. I've had excellent success sucking oil out of wood with it. Just spray it on the affected area and let it set. It may take more than one application. I blow it off with compressed air. Will not harm the wood or finish in any way. If you can't get it at the store, try ebay.

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Brownell's sells whiting for that purpose. The link above will take you to the product.

Morgan

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Brownell's product mentioned above works well. After doing as instructed coat the metal end with thinned poly.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I've even used a light bulb close to the wood. The heat will pull the oil out. I've had some nasty ones to the point a puddle would form on the floor from an overnight heat.

5. Bobshouse

Bobshouse TS Member

Save yourself some money and go out and buy a bag of Diatomaceous earth, same stuff, only alot cheaper.

6. Dave P

Bob: That is the stuff promoted as gardeners crawler bug killer is it not? How did you come accross that info? Just curious!

7. Dave P

Bob: That is the stuff promoted as gardeners crawler bug killer is it not? How did you come accross that info? Just curious!

8. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Bobshouse- Where would I be able to find diatomaceous earth? Thanks.

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I read in a magazine somewhere about the oven cleaner but it removes the finish also. That article was in reference to cleaning up old military surplus firearms and of course most of them had linsead oil finishes. the oven cleaner will raise the grain and then yoi had to sand the wood down. I think it was in Shooting Times some while back. I would not use oven cleaner on a fine gun at all. Yes Diatomaceous earth is the crawly bug killer, check at a good garden supply store or at a commercial greenhouse supply house. Careful with the light bulb idea you might blister the wood.

10. mt

mt Member

While i have no experience getting oil out of a stock, diatomaceous earth can also be found in most pool supply stores....its used in the filters.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Removing oil from the wood requires gravity, time, a system to stimulate the flow of the oil and something to absorb the oil after it has flowed from the wood.

Solvents (mineral spirits) will speed up the flow of oil but some may also damage the wood. Heat is probably the safest way to get the oil moving. Products like diatomaceous earth (skeletons of long dead diatoms), kitty litter or even paper towels will absorb the oil after it has flowed from the wood but they will not suck out the oil. Gravity does this.

If the wood is going to be refinished, standing the stock up in a can of paint thinner in a warm place for two weeks works pretty good. If the wood is not going to be refinished, standing the stock up so the oil can flow out into an absorbent and applying a little heat for three weeks will help a lot. Not all of the dark stains will be removed. An application of the thin finish over the bare wood will help keep the problem from getting worse.

Oil in the wood can become a cosmetic problem in a few years and after many years can cause the wood to deteriorate.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.