1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil furnace stopped working

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 10, 2017.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have relatives that are visiting from out of town for a couple days and sure enough the oil furnace stopped working around 4am this morning. Long story short, It's the thermostat.

This is the second Honey Well digital thermostat that has gone bad within the past two years. We do not have air conditioning, and this thermostat should not be that complicated.

I am done with Honey Well. Anyone out there have luck with another brand thermostat? Are thermostats different for oil and gas furnaces or are they the same?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

Go with a Honeywell Vision Pro 8000, a little pricey but they last well

Or I will make you a deal on a new old stock White Rodgers mercury bulb stat that will out last any of us

3. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Sure miss the simple stats that just WORK,,

DGH

4. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

I have one of those new Amana units that does all the energy efficient this and that,, and the wall stat is a touch panel,

Works well Just don't know what it will $$$$$$$$$$ when it doesn't and the warranty is expired.

DGH

5. Jim Meverden

Jim Meverden Active Member

Not to ask a stupid question, but did you replace the battery?

Jim

6. senior smoke

My son in law's brother in law is a heating and A/C man. I taught both of them trapshooting so I called him this morning and he stopped over before he started work. He's the one who said it's the thermostat. He got it to work but said he will pick up a different model today and come over tonight to install it.

I do not understand why Honey Well produces such crap? The first time that same model failed he told me he's been seeing that model fail of late. I told him maybe it's just that particular thermostat and I told him to get the same model. Sure enough it lasted only one year almost to the day.

Am I limited to a few models because I do not have air conditioning in this house. I also just have fuses and no circuit breakers.
    Steve

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

You can use any stat for your unit the stat is stupid, it doesn't know what you have hooked to it LOL

As long as there is a white and red terminal you are good to go, well maybe not some stats need a common terminal to power them but that just extends the life of the battery

8. DuckNut

DuckNut Well-Known Member

I have installed the Nest thermostat a couple years ago. It learns our daily movements in the house and turns on when we are anticipated to come home, turns off when we leave.

Pretty smart little device and I will say that I know for a fact it has saved its cost in electricity.

9. senior smoke

I had a new thermostat installed this evening. It's a Honey well but a more expensive different model. The old thermostat I had was discontinued I was told due to problems with that particular model thermostat.
    Steve

10. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Been using Pro-1 thermostats for 3-4 years now No problems and a five year warranty.

GS