1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil finish stock clean up...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scootermac50, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

What is the best way to clean up an oil finished stock??

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Steel wool ... then more oil finish.

3. kbud

kbud Member

I spoke with Beretta service in Maryland this year about this same subject. I have an oil finish stock on a dt-10. They told me to use lemon oil on it. I believe that is the only ingredient in Old English furniture polish FWIW.

4. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

I use "Howard Restore A Finish". Wipe it on rube it with (0000)steal wool. I use this stuff on all my guns and it really works. Does a good job cleaning checkering brushing with a tooth brush. On some finishes top with Howard Feed N wax. It would be hard to beet this product.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Howard Restore a Finish contains a solvent. Old English has some stain. Lemon oil is just lemon oil.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lemon oil is made by squeezing a lot of lemon peelings. It is widely used in household cleaners and has the ability to kill bacteria. It is also used as a food flavoring. It does leave the wood clean and with a shine. It will not result in a protective wax layer on top of the wood.

I would use lemon oil to glean a gun stocks and flavor cookies. I would use something like Old English to cover blemishes and light scratches and an automobile wax to add a protective layer on top of the wood.

Pat Ireland

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Do you know where your gun (or stock) was made??

Most true oil finishes are a mixture of linseed oil and typically Carnauba wax. The most common oil finish is seen on English (UK) guns and uses this formulation. I am not 100% sure what is the typical formulation used by other countries (or stock makers).

The cleaning advice is correct - 0000 steel wool and some lubricant, but if you want to refinish as you clean I would suggest the linseed/Carnauba mixture. You let this dry and then hand rub the stock to bring up the finish and shine.

I have some, so if you decide to go that route drop me an e-mail... drop the X's

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've had good results from using Murphy's Oil Soap (I think that's the correct name). It really cleans the finish without adding a stain.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cleaning checkering on oil finished gun stocks

cleaning oil finished stocks

gunstock polish videos

gunstocklemonoil

howards feed nad wax on a beretta oiled stock

lemon oil for shotgun stock

lemon oil to clean gun

old english lemon oil on military gun stocks