1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil Filter opinions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 686beretta, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

I have heard for the longest time that Fram was the way to go, but on other sites I hear about Purolator, Mobil 1, and Wix. What do you all think? The biggest knock I've heard with Fram is quality is not what is used to be. Thanks everybody.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I can't find it right now but i had an oil filter comparison study. If i find it i'll add it to this post.

Anyway Mobil 1 was the highest rated in that paticular study. I doubt you'll ever be able to tell a difference one way or another though. Best filter is a clean filter. My truck recommends changing oil every 5000 miles. I change my oil with a new filter every 2500 or there abouts. I use the TG Fram filters. Never had a problem.

Matt

3. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Above is a study on Oil filters. Been using Wix for a number of years. I buy them online and get them for under $4 some closer to $3. Used Fram for many years as they had a great reputation, quality has declined and is ranked very low in the study.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I would stick with the Mfg. of the OEM filter you want to use. Some of these filter companies use rebranded filters from other Mfg's. I myself use a Fram filter that was made by Racor co. this is what rebranding means.

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Fram is cardboard top and bottom. Been using Fram for years though with no problems. After cutting a Fram in Half, and seeing how cheaply they are made, I decided to upgrade to a better filter. Wix and/or NAPA Gold(Wix) are well built and is what I use. Actually I've used multiple brands with no problems what-so-ever. I'm still a 3k oil change guy so I'm not putting the filter thru long service duty. Dave T.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I use either the OEM filter or Wix. Fram aren't what they used to be. Ford Motorcraft are decent as are the AC/Delco for regular use. When in doubt, I'll use the Wix filters.

7. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

GM recommends AC/Delco.

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Fram did a great advertising job but there product is not near the quality that the Wix fileter is for my money. I've never had a failuer when using a Fram or any other filter for that matter but I change oil every 2500 miles. The oil seems lighter in color with the Wix than the Fram at each change but who knows.

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

A good filter is important, but good oil is much more important, over the years the additives to oil have greatly increased the performance of it and with the use of CNC machines to make the engine parts there isn't near as much trash circulating with the oil

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

When someone makes a better filter than Wix, I'll start using it. The NAPA gold line filters are Wix. My '97 Chevy P/U with over 250K tells me I'm doing something right.

I won't put a Fram on my lawnmower.

ss

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use Amsoil oil and filters and have for many years...good stuff and since my nephew deals in it..he does my changes and lubes for me

12. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

Wix filters and Red Line synthetic. Nothin' but the best.

13. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

you guys that are changing oil at 2500 to 3000 miles should take a quick test of the oil and have it analyzed at a lab. You will find that it is perfectly good, under most driving conditions up to about 8000 miles or so. The test is fun and check--about 20 bucks and it comes back like a lab blood test. they tell you everything about the oil, what is in it and the life expectancy. Most cities have the labs available or some of the auto parts stores sell the kits. Try it and you might be able to save a bunch of money in oil changes and still the get the wear protection that you want and need. Motordoc

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I used Fram filters with no problems for many years, but I have also heard they are slipping in quality. I had a new filter split at the flange seam and empty my engine oil 5 miles away from the Valvoline Oil express. There was a lot of oil smoke, so I shut it off before I hurt the engine. They sent a wrecker and fixed it up, upon inspection the filter was made in china. I pretty much look for "made in USA". It is funny, but some of the in house brands are USA made and some of the brands say mexico or china. I am old fashioned and change or have it changed every 3,000 miles.

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

You're absolutely right Motordoctor, if the engine manufacturer says it's good for so many miles they know what they are saying

16. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

Amsoil has an oil called The Signature Series that claims a 35,000 mile drain interval, but the filter they have is only 25,000 miles. I use this stuff and change at 15,000 based on driving conditions, start and stop, short trips, etc.
    I never even thought of synthetic oil until I bought a Harley Davidson a few years ago. Amsoil has a 28 page report on their website comparing their oil to other manufacturers for V-twin motorcycles. Back to the subject at hand, the micron filtration of both H-D and Amsoil are very small, in the neighborhood of 10-12 microns. I am going to stick with the Amsoil and their filters for now. I dont know who makes them for that company.
    Thanks Kevin McIlwain

17. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Wix did not use to make their own fuel filters for diesel applications, they now do and they suck.

Some claim that Racor is the king of filters, I have read threads on other sites that say Racor makes motorcraft filters... Don't know if it is true, but Racor is used frequently in the racing world.

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Here's something to consider. In the unlikely event of engine damage due to an oil filter failure (it happens but very rarely), an aftermarket filter manufacturer will do its best to pass the blame on to the car manufacturer, leaving you in the middle of a urinating contest. If you use a GM filter on a GM vehicle, for instance, and it fails, there is only one company involved. I've seen it happen both ways and believe me, it was a lot prettier transaction when the car and the filter were the same brand.

Plus, GM (or Ford or Chrysler or Honda or...) will want you to buy another GM vehicle when the time comes, so they will try to have you depart the experience with a positive attitude toward GM. Fram, Purolater or any other filter maunfacturer couldn't care less what brand of car you buy next.

Ed

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Been using Kendall oil and Tires Plus house brand filters for 12 years/125,000 miles on my car changed every 5k miles. Knock wood, never an issue or a problem with the oil or the filter.

Eric

20. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Noknock1, If your referring to the Ford 6.0 filters, Racor designed the oil and fuel filters for Navistar. The Motorcraft, and Fram (ch9549) filters are both made by Racor with their patent numbers on them. Racor is a division of Parker/Hannifin corp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.