1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil burner chimney needs a liner

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Jul 17, 2013.

1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

This is posted in the off topic section for those that are employed on "The View" and have "opinions" as to postings.
    I am looking for some info on installing a chimney liner into an old chimney which currently has no liner. Are there any recommendations as to where to purchase the products? I know that I can do this myself with a couple of friends. Just looking for some input from anyone who has done this before.Roofs and heights as well as ladders are not an issue at all.
    Thanks---Dennis.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Generally you don't have to line a chimney that has and will continue to be used with oil, just when you switch from oil to gas, the moisture in the gas vent will mix with the soot and it will make sulfuric acid and it will eat away at the masonry joints

It has been a while since I have dealt with doing that, but I doubt it has changed much, I have seen they now have a flexible system that they use, all you need to do is cut to length and terminate. If at all possible it is a good idea to have a drain on the bottom of the tee you hook into to drain and condensate or rain that could get in there

3. copper

copper Member

Chimney liner Depot on LINE 6' X 20 FEET 375.00 I never bought but looked into it , think they were cheapest Stainless steel flex just type in go to there site

4. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Thank you---Dennis

5. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Which is better .... Rigid or flex?

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It would be about the same, I would guess the flex could be much easier, in the past I have run into chimneys that had ab offset in them and the flex would have been nice there

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When the chimney guy came to line my basement chimney for a woodstove it was all flex SS pipe. One reason was because of the bend in the chimney. He also lined the pipe with insulation. Over the insulation he put wire mesh to hold the insulation in place while the pipe was being put in place.

Just to say you might want to let a pro do it because of insurance. If you did it and something goes wrong then you will be in trouble with the insurance. If a pro did it then he is the one who has to pay if anything goes wrong. Just a thought.