1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OHIO vs PA scorekeepers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by old870, Jun 23, 2013.

1. old870

old870 TS Member

I shot at both the PA and OHIO state shoots and had a good time at each. I did notice that I can hear Ohio scorekeepers much better than PA. I didn't have to strain to hear the scores or calling a "loss". Good job kids!!

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Someone needs to explain to PA pullers that most old Trapshooters are near deaf and wear ear plugs. I always emphasized that issue when training my pullers. I'm sure Chuck could incorporate that into his training program!!

3. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

The scorekeeper's at the Cardinal take a training class's before the season starts. That's why you can hear them.

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Although I don't agree that the scorers are any better trained or call better in Ohio, the line supervision is far superior. Ohio has a supervisor for each two banks WITH A RADIO, and can get issues resolved right away. At this year's PA state there was an issue that needed immediate resolution on bank 8: two shooters thinking they were on the same post, (one of 'em a dumb ass) and the scorer ran down to the clubhouse to get it straightened out, because the upper line guy couldn't be located. All things considered, though, there are many things Ohio could learn from PSSA, like how to run a shoot-off, or filling squads. For instance, At the Buckeye, I was on squad 29, which was the first squad to shoot bank 5, & the only shooter on the squad. It's not the only day there were no shooters on the first flights out, either, and that's just dumb.

best....mike

5. wm rike

wm rike Member

I haven't been to PA, but the scorers at the Cardinal do a great job and I make a point of telling them that. You should too if you shoot there. Give the kids a boost.

6. greek

greek TS Member

Training for PSSA is for 6 weeks, Mon and
    Thurs. The kids are told that all trap shooters are deaf and wear ear plugs. They are kids and they do forget, just like the old folks. If you can't hear them, please remind they to call louder.

Border Bandit - Did you tell anyone about the problem on Bank 8. Can't fix what you don't know about.

Unknown. Maybe you can come up with an answer to this problem. There are two line supervisors on the top line, two sheet runners, buses, and three trap mechanics. Your telling me not one was near Bank 8. They all have radios.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I can still hear the young lady on 7c at Cardinal, she was vocal and good!

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have shot at the Pa State Shoot and the scorers are good kids. I was very impresses with the way they acted, the way they worked, the way they were dressed and they were CLEAN KIDS. I also noticed they way the kids were taught to work the field. When the round was over the scorer would get up and walk to the trap house and tell the person in the house that it was OK to get out. The kid just didn't pop is head out to see if the round was over. I like that safety system they have.

At one of the Va State Shoots we all lined up to start the round on the 16ing. A kid with no shirt and dirty just walked right passed us. Some with shells in the gun and walked to the trap house. He was about 1/3 of the way there when I loudly called for a target. The target came out and he JUMPED straight up and turned around and you could read his lips just fine. He was also looking at everyone for who called that target. EVERYONE LAUGHED. Boy was he pissed. I just hope he learned something. LOOK AND ASK IF ITS ALRIGHT TO PASS THE FIRING LINE.

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I shot on quite a few traps where the scorer was back of the 27yd. line and we were shooting 18&19yd.

Chairs should be no more than 2 yds. back.

I bitched about this last year. You can't, in most cases, hear the scorer.

It was obvious Sunday that the kids were tired and rightfully so.

If the humidity was up more, it would have been rough.

Regards....Gerald

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

While it's a well known fact that Ohio scorekeepers are better looking than their counterparts from the East, I firmly believe that Pa scorekeepers are much more intelligent.

11. C-Money

C-Money Member

I did not make PA or Ohio, but the kids at Washington State did an ok job. My friend lost 3 handi targets 97 down to 94 due to not making sure the kid wrote "dead" over mistakes he made on the score sheet when he became confused toward the end of the event. Squad leader signed off, but mistakes were not written.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

As usual Tron is incorrect. PA pullers are certainly more intelligent, better looking but maybe not fed as good!!

13. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

This is a fact. The pullers in PA set back to far from the shooters. Frequently when doubles follow handicap they set at the 27 yard line for the doubles.

14. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

Would you old farts prefer that the Pullers use bull horns??? Maybe they can throw things at you when you miss!

15. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

PA scorekeepers are beautiful, cheerful, and educated college gilrs from Bloomsburg University.

Ohio wishes they had it so good!!

16. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Never been to the PA shoot but I totally agree with the comments about Cardinal scorers. In fact I have asked them if they could set up a centrally located tip jar for them (so as not to unduly influence the score keeping) where we could say "Thanks for the good job" in a meaningful way. They could then split them evenly daily or at the end of the week. But that request along with a beverage cart like they have on golf courses (driven by a lovely young lady) has fallen on deaf ears...

Screech

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The old Pinehurst (NC) Gun Club hired pullers and trap loaders from retirement homes, reform schools and who knows where for their help for their first shoot in April of each year when their usual help was still in school. The year we were treated to a bunch of reform school kids who didn't really want to be there, slow pulls were the standard and "oh, I forgot" pulls were commonplace. On post five in 1991 or 1992, I had my gun mounted and release set when the trap loader came out of the right side of the house and walked back toward us using language that made some of us blush. The machine was shocking him, as I recall.

Aside from some of them being very distracting (in a good way), the scorers at Elysburg have always been top-notch. Some of Vandalia's weren't bad, either.

Ed