1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio turning into California

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by geeber, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geeber

geeber Member

The Ohio supreme court now says a law enforcement officer that has been trained, no longer needs proof that you were speeding. All he has do is say you were speeding if it looked like it to him. They no longer need radar or laser.
    Geeber

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If a cop wants to bust you they don't need to make up something, all they really have to do is look around and they can find something to arrest you for ... Some States even have an UGLY law meaning if you are considered to be "Ugly" you cannot be out in public after dark, Illinois is one of them ... Check it out ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

My alltime 2 favorite laws for getting a n'er-do-good off the street was:

1 - Mildewing with the Intent to Mold

2 - Creeping with the Intent to Crawl

Unfortunately these laws were only misdemeanors whereas they should have been a felony!!

Curt

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Sometimes all the facts influence these type of decisions...

Of course, you can continue to post out of context to get the rise you expect...

Jim

5. geeber

geeber Member

Mr. Perazzi,
    For your info, I did not start this thread for a rise! I simply passed on what I think is a STUPID law. The following is copied from the Times Leader newspaper from my hometown in Martins Ferry, Ohio.

WE ARE not rushing to judgment, but we have major concerns with an Ohio Supreme Court traffic enforcement decision this week.

The Buckeye State's high court ruled that a person may be convicted of speeding purely if it appears to a police officer that the motorist was traveling too fast.

The court ruled 5-1 that independent verification of a driver's speed is not needed. The lone vote against came from Justice Terrence O'Donnell.

Justice O'Donnell, in his dissenting opinion, wrote that a police officer's credibility -- just like that of any other witness -- is to be determined by the jury or other fact-finder, which can believe all, part or none of the testimony.

We align our thinking with that of Justice O'Donnell.

Moreover, we believe the high court's decision opens up a can of worms, one that should be left untouched.

The Eighth District Appeals Court in Cleveland also supports the mode of thinking embraced by Justice O'Donnell.

Targeting speeders should not be left to the eye. Even with exceptional training, a trooper's speed estimation pales in comparison to that of science -- that being radar and speed guns.

If a highway's speed limit is 65, there is a fine line between the allowable speed and 70 miles per hour. Is a trooper's vision keen enough to detect the difference?

There are obvious cases when exorbitant speeds are viewed and speeding is a no-brainer. With no equipment being available, what fine is imposed on the driver? Or is just a warning issued? Payments are dictated by how severe the violation is.

Allowing police officers to make visual speeding arrests does spawn credibility questions in some instances, issues we believe that enforcement personnel should not be subjected.

We have the utmost respect for law enforcement agencies.

The Supreme Court's speeding ruling, however, will be one that places them under an unnecessary microscope.

6. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

A good attorney can make a cop look silly in court when speeding by sight is the charge. An attorney in Georgia was questioning an officer who stated the motorist was going 38 in a 25 zone so the attorney wadded up a piece of paper and threw it across the room and asked the office how fast was that? The office replied "I don't know".....case dismissed.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

"A good attorney"??

Where?

A good police officer can make a loud mouthed smart assed attorney look very silly in court.

Curt

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Curt, where does one go to find a "good" police officer?

Gne J

9. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

The liberal state of California would never give a police officer the latitude you suggest Geeber.

Robert

10. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

We use Mopery with intent to gawk. Also Stargazing. Hey Curt, two new reasons to pull over some innocent driver. Oh yeah. Harry

11. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Sir, do you want the speed of the wadded up piece of paper you just threw in FPS or MPH. Prove me wrong, Mr. Attorney. A good attorney always has the correct answer before he asks the question. Now lets try on those gloves Mr. O.J. How stupid was that?

12. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

From "Monte Python and the Holy Grail"

(you must answer three questions before passing across the bridge)

Bridgekeeper: Stop. Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.
    Bridgekeeper: Hee hee heh. Stop. What... is your name?
    King Arthur: It is 'Arthur', King of the Britons.
    Bridgekeeper: What... is your quest?
    King Arthur: To seek the Holy Grail.
    Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    King Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
    Bridgekeeper: Huh? I... I don't know that.
    [he is thrown over]
    Bridgekeeper: Auuuuuuuugh.
    Sir Bedevere: How do know so much about swallows?
    King Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

Just a little bit of humor about speed.

Jeff

13. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

My heart pounds for you, Geeber, but after giving Obama the White House, you Ohioans kinda got it comin'. Kit

14. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

It would seem to me that the 'paper throwing act' wouldn't have a bearing on an Ohio case. Once the court gives its blessing to the officer he then becomes the ultimate judge on a case by case study. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.