1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio State Zone Shoot Location to Cardinal

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I suggest that we hold all 4 zone shoots at Cardinal Center Home of The OSTA

Reason: They had 55-60 squads shoot there on Sunday, Southeast Zone had less
    than 15 squads,a lot shooters said they were going to Cardinal next year, it was too far a drive to go to Marietta, and they could shoot on better grounds and get ready for the Ohio Stae Shoot.

All zone shooters would be shooting the same targets, same weather, more equal
    conditions.

I know for a fact that a lot of the SE zone shooters shot at Cardinal, and next year there will be more.

Doing this will bring in more shooters and better shooting conditions.

I e-mailed Drew Waller and called him and left him a messsage about this.

I think the Ohio State Shooters should vote at this years State Shoot when classifing, that way no vote fraud, and quick results.

When classifying you get Each Zone will get their own shooter numbers lets say
    Northeast Zones gets 1000 series, Northwest gets 2000 series, southwest gets
    3000 series, Southeast gets 4000 series, that way the computer will know what zone you are in, and you can shoot with any one you care to squad with.

The entry cards would be easy to sort and enter on computer by RJ Stuart.
    You declare your category Lady, Vet, Sr.Vet, Junior, Sub Junior, Chair shooter
    Etc.

I would believe this would greatly increase attendance, and give a good return
    to Cardinal Owner Jack Fishburn and the OSTA.

What do you shooters think, a simple yes or no will do.

Dr.Longshot

2. Dr.Longshot

Please only Ohio Shooters Vote on this.

Dr.longshot

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok it looks like no one is voting so since im from across the big river I was curious on how far apart all of these zone home clubs are right now if they are all equal distances then I think it would be a good ideal but if it is like in KY then my state shoot is as far as me coming to the Ohio state shoot ok I think it is around 350 miles to ohio and that or more to berea KY for me.

Thought I would bump it up also.

fog

4. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Here's a vote from Ohio (SE Zone)- NO

Maybe I'm just plain dumb, but I don't see how the OSTA will benefit- you pay the daily ATA and OSTA fees at either location.

The smaller clubs are already on the ropes trying to compete with the "Mega Clubs", this would just be another nail in the coffin.

There currently is no rule that you have to shoot in your zone of residence, only that you will not be eligible for OSTA added monies and zone team positions if you don't.

For the record, Marietta is a closer drive for me than Cardinal, though not enough to be a "tie breaker" on a decision of where I want to shoot on any given day.

I think that Cardinal is a fantastic place to shoot, probably well on it's way to becoming one of the top facilities in the country, but I don't think that killing off every small shoot in Ohio and sending them to Cardinal is a healthy move for Ohio trapshooting in general.

Also, there is a hidden agenda in this quote of Dr. Longshot's: "The entry cards would be easy to sort and enter on computer by RJ Stuart. You declare your category Lady, Vet, Sr.Vet, Junior, Sub Junior, Chair shooter Etc."

I'll let him explain that one to all of you.

5. Dr.Longshot

It appears that someone says there is an agenda, maybe they could explain that one to me. An agenda to have the whole state association members to vote if there should be one place to hold all zone shoots. It had been suggested by some of the board last year, and another one was to change boundaries. I don't know if there has been a membership audit of the shooters in each zone done in the last 5 years or not. I would like to see how each zone stacks up membership
    wise. The only fair way is to have the OSTA members themselves vote on this at the State Shoot. Then and only then could an accurate decision be made.

I personally believe there would be an increase of participation if held at Cardinal Center. The small clubs would still throw targets so that each zone shooter can get his or her targets in to qualify.

Maybe SCTP teams from each zone could compete, whether at the zones the way they are now. Zone SCTP teams I think would be a welcome contest.

My idea is just one of hundreds of ideas to give credence to.

To have the membership vote on these ideas is communication that is needed.

It does not have to be dictated by others or pushed on us. Just simply let the membership decide. Comadre if I spelled it right is worth something.

Dr.longshot

Dr.longshot

6. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

I'm not opposed to your thoughts, just want to point out that our other clubs have an interest as well. There are only so many weekends each season suitable to shoot here in Ohio.

I happen to live in the NE zone, so my zone shoot was at Cardinal, however, if I was in the NW zone I would have gladly shot at Blackwing. It is also a beautiful facility and deserves our patronage and support. I'm not familiar with the other zone clubs so can't comment on them.

I'm glad to have the Cardinal Center as a shooting venue, but I don't want to hurt any of the other clubs in the process.

If the NE zone returns to North Lawrence, I'll probably go there as well next year.

Bob T.

7. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Dr. Longshot- not a bad idea to get all zone shooters into one facility. This would give Marengo a bit more experience in getting all the bugs worked out. OhioMike-nothing wrong with your comment about giving the "smaller" clubs some play but how can you consider Blackwing or Jaqua's a "small" club. I haven't had the pleasure of shooting at Marietta so I can't comment on that club but I don't think that either Jaqua's or Blackwing need any help. They seem to be doing quite well.

As far as an agenda, it is not obvious to me but then I'm only working on my first cup of coffee. The idea is worth some discussion.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

8. ky.shooter

ky.shooter Active Member

Wasn't this same idea proposed by your delegate last year? I would think he would have the results from his poll of last year that you could look through.

9. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Keep the zones local. That is the point of having ZONES in the first place.

I like Cardinal Center as well as anybody. But it is just one great place to shoot in a state blessed with great places to shoot.

This is the best way to keep all clubs shooting. And we need all the places to shoot we can get.

Rock

Jim

10. Dr.Longshot

To all responders my posting is for the shooters to decide where to shoot their zone, each has his own opinion and I support that. But the sheer fact that Cardinal had 50 to 60 squads speaks of something. I am not against Marietta or any other gun club, the shooters will still have to qualify for the zone shoot someplace.

Your correct response should have been why so many shooters at Cardinal?

Ask yourself this , and what answer do you come up with for the great attendance there? Please elaborate your opinion on this Carl Chadwell, Ohio Mike, Barry Kemper, Jerry Beach, Ohio Bob, and others.

I detest the statement of an agenda, there was none, and never intended to be one.

Dr.longshot

11. monroesc

monroesc Member

Thought on holding zone shoots on different weekends...
    It's difficult now to find a weekend that 4-5 clubs are not already holding a shoot. No club is allowed to schedule a shoot on "zone weekend" so this idea would give us even less available time slots.

12. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Other than the fact that Cardinal could get the "flow" down pat, Cardinal is just about the most central location for the state of Ohio. Different weekends for the zone shoots would be difficult as you would hold up registered shoots for the whole month of May (or part of May/June) for the rest of the state. June is also busy trying to schedule registered shoots around the Ohio state shoot. Smaller clubs are having a very difficult time scheduling around the "big" clubs/Zone/State shoots. Personally for the (Ohio)zone shoots it makes me no difference as Jaqua's is an hour, Blackwing is 40-45 min. and Cardinal is about 1 hour 15 min.

Maybe a central location WOULD result in bigger attendance. Blackwing (on Sunday) only had about 28 or 29 squads shooting 16's. I can't remember how many squads shot at Jaqua's in 2006. More thoughts?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

13. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

How is not shooting 400 birds at the other zone places going to cause them to go under? HENRY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.