1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio state trap shoot . Bunker trap ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by melf, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melf

melf TS Member

I was at the OH state shoot wednesday and I think I seen what looks
    like A bunker trap going in any one know anything about this .
    Art

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

It was mentioned previously.

Nothing yet on there web site...

3. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

He is preparing a site down at the trap ranges with plans for 4 more bunkers on the west end.

4. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Art: its so the Olympic style can be shot in Ohio. I believe Jim Eyester has a hand in it as well as Mr. Fishburn. Don

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

The bunker structure is (from all appearances, I didn't get to look inside) looks to be about 75% + finished. I thought they said at Friday night's meeting that the traps have not been purchased yet but they are working on it. More good things coming to the Cardinal Shooting Center. (Can you tell that I like this place?)

Jb=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. melf

melf TS Member

I like it too Jerry , it's closer then lakeview for me , about 40 mils .
    I have wanted to try bunker trap this will give me a chance with out
    driving 100 mils .

Art

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Sounds like that place could be the new homegrounds of the ATA in a year or so when Illinois DNR gives the entire Sparta project the boot.

8. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Illinois won't do it, but the ATA could when the 10yr. agreement is up.

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Just wait ... just wait and see.

When they realize it aint making as much bottom line cash as they think it should make they will sell off all the equipment that is on there land and close the place.

Heck I'd even bet they try and sell the machines to the people who had to spend the money to put them there so they could use them.

10. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Active Member

Gentlemen,

The machines that are going into this bunker will be from Promatic. Rick Chordash asked me to be the technical consultant on his new bunker at Binghamton Gun Club and during installtion, Bill Wyant of Promatic informed us that they won the bid for this facility.

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Ah heck ... Promatic machines ... dang that really bums me out. I cant shoot them dang Promatic machines ... only pro's are allowed to shoot Promatics, now if they were Amatuermatics it would be a whole different story.

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

Mike...

Southwest has direct service to Jacksonville which is near the Bunker in Gainesville. We are in the process of putting a roof on the new one and should be complete in a few weeks. Come on down and shoot some good traps not the French stuff they shoot in Keerville.

TB

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

I believe I can answer that for you. Mike Herman who is probably one of the top six bunker shooters in this country ran a 300x300 last years with his bunker gun. I also recall he did quite well at the Wyoming State shoot.

Tom

14. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Did this at Las Vegas Gun Club for the first time last year. It was just about the most clay target fun that I have ever had. Broke a 14 the first time out. The two older gentleman running it was really nice and helpful to us. I will be happy to see this in central Ohio, as I have been trying to plan a trip to Fairfield SC in Cincy to do it again.

15. perazzipaul

perazzipaul TS Member

i talked to mr fishburn saturday and hesaid the trap was some local kids who shoot bunker trap locally so that they do nothave drive to cincinati to shoot.

16. crusha

crusha TS Member

This is awesome to hear.

17. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Active Member

Mike AKA PerazziBigBore,

Well my friend, you have found the secret! Given the speed of the targets, you can not shoot these targets from the conscious. You must shoot them from the sub-conscious. Very little if anything has ever been written or spoken about this process. Your conscious can only process one thing at a time (Hopefully Positive). Your sub-conscious can process many things at one time and you'll not even realize it.

In the early 1980's the United States Olympic Committee sent a team of doctors down to the U.S. Army Marksmanship Units Shotgun Team. We wore nothing but a short pair of swim trunks and a pad over our shooting shoulder (No Vests). We stood on a pressure sensative scematic board to monitor weight distribution. We wore both EKG & EEG diodes to monitor heart and brain activity. They also shot video of us on multiple high speed cameras so that they could critque moves, etc. The end result was that once you mount the gun, the conscious turns off. As you are descending the gun toward the bunker and establishing your soft focus, you go into sub-conscious awareness (Flat Brain Waves). Upon your call and your eyes first perception of spotting the target leaving the bunker, your brain waves spike dramictally and begin a series on computations that are staggering. In less than two tenths of a second, your brain has seen the target, evaluated the speed of the target, planned a flight path to engage the target and contacted your nervous system to begin the move to the target. The next three tenths of a second involve starting the gun from a dead stop to moving onto and engaging a target that is already 32-35 meters down range from you traveling at 64+ miles per hour with 295-300 BB's. My friend, you don't have time to use your consciousness. This game can only be shot from the sub-conscious. In that respect it is a lot like Live Bird Shooting and less like ATA.

The coach of the U.S. Army and U.S. National Team in the early 80's had this theory. He said "To be a great Olympic shooter, you have to either be a genius or dumb as a box of rocks". He went on to add "A genius is smart enough to know how and when to turn of his brain and the guy that's dumb as a box of rocks never engages it in the first place". He finished by saying "Essentially everyone else is screwed"!!!! And so endeth this lesson. This is why this game is so frustrating and requires so much training, both on the range and mentally. This process requires YEARS of experience. This is one of the major problems facing young shooters, because they come from the hear and now generation (I want immediate success with as little work as possible). We all would like this same success process to fall in our lap, but quite honestly the long struggle and sacrifices make the wins that much more meaningful and satisfying. You're not necessarily just winning the medal, but mastering the struggle and that my friends can not be replaced!

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

18. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Mike ... take a look at that single shot final score of yours. It was mentioned how after the last single shot final I shot in how every shooters scores were much lower than they normal average because ... because ... yep you guessed it because all they ever practiced with was with 2 shells, none of them practiced with only one shell in the gun but always with 2 shells and thusly always having it fixated in there head that if they miss with the 1st they have a 2nd shot but when that single round only final came along ... it messed there heads up and they did not shoot as well.

Practice single shot only ... get good with that and bust about 80% continually and then start playing with that second shot but always keep that 80%+ breakage with a single shot and it will help and improve your overall game.

Bunker can be a blast and Kerrville aint the easiest bunkers in the country so take it for what its worth but ya did good and your scores will go up, well they will go down at times as well but overall they will go up and if they dont ... well ... screw it ... they will go up and down but it aint always about the score.

19. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

In regard to legal loads (US Only)

Sanctioned Competitions (USA):

Match Directors may allow up to 1 – 1/8 oz. loads if stated in the program. No national records may be set if 1 1/8 oz loads are used.

20. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

I see an awful lot of traffic talking about high velocities needed to break bunker targets. It's strange that such good scores were shot with standard 1-1/8 trap loads when the 32 gr. load was the rule. For example, Dan Carlisle's 300+ straight as I recall at Prado on brick bat hard White Flyers off Speith machines. And some of the highest scores recorded were with the 28 gr. loads at about 1250 fps; a foremat of which Frank Little said it would be sheer luck to break a target with a second barrel. I would also question the conventional wisdom of tight choke selection after seeing Jim Eisner's son obliterate targets with a Citori Jim, as I remember, said was choked .009 on the first barrel. This violates my premise that you use the kind of equipment that is beating you because someone else has probably already proven its effectiveness. Oh well, just some contrarian observations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.