1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio State shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigeon101, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

Why only 5 classes at the Ohio State Shoot? I thought this shoot had a bigger attendance than the PA state shoot which has 6 classes. I though about going and shooting it today. Non resident trophies only one per class in the program. Doesn't seem worth it to drive 3+ hrs to shoot in a 5 class shoot for a class trophy.

Jason in PA

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've asked myself that same question many times. Why drive 10 hours for a flashlite trophy when my hardware store is around 3 minutes down the road. Then I realized why I'm gonna do it again in August. I'll be attending a shoot at a premier facility with well set targets, a fair background for all shooters (not only for a select few), a higher % of shooters playing the money, more of the countries finest shooters participating meaning better competition, many more quality vendors and excellent hotels nearby.

See how easy that was!!

3. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Pigeon You would have loved it here. Great place to shoot. But with a negative attitude you should stay home. Clyde

4. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

Old timer No positive additudes here. Just wandering why a big shoot like the Ohio State shoot only has 5 classes. I guess I can't ask a simple question and get a honest answer about the shoot. Didn't ask about the Grand/sparta shoot and why its so great but I got an explaination about that shoot from the other guy. Well that is what I did (stay home) Ohio has nothing to offer me.

Negative Jason in PA

5. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Best facility (including Vandalia) that I have seen. I haven't seen any in California.

Amazingly the center is still growing with much room to expand.

Super camping, motels and restaurants are within minutes and Alum Creek State Park and Campground is around the corner.

This was my first Cardinal center shoot. Great place and thanks for a great time.

Just one question.

When are they holding their next shoot?

6. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Dawg,

So you will be here in August for the classic, cool, we can shoot sporting clays also.

See you here.

OB

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

While at our club today, I heard a few fellows saying that they pulled two numbers for a shoot-off but after finding that there wasn't an acceptable number of Ohio shooters, they drew another two numbers. True or false??

Ed Yanchok

8. vhntr1

vhntr1 Member

We had over 1200 shooters on sat for the 200 singles finest facility in the country!

9. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

ED, the BS at your club today was exactly that. A bunch of REAL BIG BS. The numbers for the shootoff's were drawn in public. There were no re-draws.

10. TjayE

TjayE Member

Thanks BIG PAPA for clearing this bad rumor. I also wondered "Why no 6 classes at this BIG STATE SHOOT."

Cardinal trap range a great place to shoot. Just a little light on the trophies. Tom

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Well set targets? You must be kidding.

12. Buster1652

Buster1652 Member

I spent all of last week at the Cardinal Shooting Center in Marengo Ohio,

This is without a doubt the finest facility of this kind any where.

The grounds were immaculate, the staff is above professional grade, shoots were organized, In a word "WOW" what a place.

I feel so fortunate to be a "buckeye" and I can't thank the Fishburn family enough.

I would also like to thank the OSTA for putting on an event second to none.

Art Brown Jr

13. TMX BOB

TMX BOB Member

Where do you find out who won the car and golf cart?

Thanks in advanced, Bob Collins

14. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I apologize for the negative comment above about Ohio having nothing to offer me. Its very frustrating to ask a question on this form and get nothing but BS responses. I have heard nothing but good things about the Cardinal center and I do plan to attend a shoot there. Its a closer facility to me than Elysburg is.

Jason in PA

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

pigeon 101, schedule a trip out there in August for the Cardinal Classic. I promise you won't be disappointed. Then come back on here and tell us again how it compares to our own Elysburg!!

16. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

Jason I agree with your points here as a matter of fact these were exactly most of the discussion of myself and my buddy on the ride home. Let me first say that this is no doubt a premier facility and well run shoot and all the thanks to the Cardinal center, the Fishburn family and the OSTA. But to add to your thoughts for such a premier shoot why not have 6 classes? trophy cost? other states do it and are still profitable. One of my other questions is around the lack of non resident trophies and monies. When I compare this shoot to the other large east coast shoots in NY, NJ, and PA there is much more available for non-res shooters namely open awards that may help not only give non-res shooters more to shoot for but the res shooter could also win them. I also have a question around the ATA refund monies $14,122 I see that as ATA general monies for the shoot and besides a couple of $50 and $25 non-resident prizes it looks like a great majority of the money went to the residents, I feel that that money should be spread among all ATA members shooting, after all it is what we all paid partially into. I have seen posts that the attendance was up and that is great in our current environment but I will bet that a non-residents contributed to that as well. I love this facility and the shoot but to go back again next year I have to ask myself for what? It needs to be for more than shooting beautiful targets. Now before you all respond with the bashes remember this is a discussion, if I am incorrect in anything I have said feel free to correct me.
    Thanks Vic

17. Donm

Donm Active Member

Jason don't you know it is a sin to say anything negitive about the almighty Ohio place. They can ream every place else but don't say anything about their place.

18. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Vic:

Just to throw out some issues from a different point: you mention Open Trophies at other states, and I assume from your post you'd prefer those. I prefer open, but the trend is for states to offer NR instead, in an attempt to appease out-of-state shooters. You seem to be writing from a NR point of view so I'm just pointing out that dropping the Open trophies has been done to appease NR shooters. My view is the State Shoot is for the residents mainly, and Open Trophies are available to everyone, which seem fair to me. The trend is the other way though, and I can see both sides of it. You mention NY, but they have dropped Open Trophies, at least in the larger events.

As far as 6 classes, OH was large enough for it, although many states have adopted it even though there aren't enough AAA shooters to really justify it.

19. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

TMX BOB

Jason Huffman 19 yeas old won the car............ I am not sure who won the golf cart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.