1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OHIO State shoot visibility

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by A201, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A201

A201 TS Member

I have not seen any bad press about the facility, so here comes some.I shot Thur. and Fri. Did OK Thur. 93 on handicap on bank four. Had a very hard time finding the targets, like calling and not seeing target till almost at peak on left angles, did OK on Dbls. 94 bank 3 Fri. no vision problems, just my head a little crooked. 87 on Fri handicap on bank 2. Changed glasses, used lower hold, nothing worked, could not see target come out against that WHEAT. I have never experienced that severe of a visibility problem, any one else? Otherwise, everything about the facility is first rate, just wish I could have picked out the targets better. Roger

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You were not alone. It was a fairly common concern, especially among older shooters.

Don

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Ohio had some of the best targets I ever saw, I shot bank 4, 2 and 8, I can't agree, I thought the targets were VERY easy to pick up......no pleasin everyone I guess....

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

There is no pleasing everyone.

I agree with Frank C, they looked good to me - or maybe I liked them because I shot above average scores all week.

I know I will be back to Marengo.

Don

5. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

I experinced similuar difficultly with the Ohio State Targets. I shot on a
    good bank,#3. The targets, a NY style, were accelerating beyond the normal
    41.5 or 42 mph. They were anything but vivid and I thought I had gone Blind!

I returned home lower than Whale Dung!

Gunnerx

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

On days when it was a bit hazy, they were tough to see, especially on the west banks. Solid orange targets would help, but I wouldn't expect the OSTA to go to that extreme. 80+ 100's and 22 200's in the Singles championship. 1220 shooters. Pretty high averages. Experiment with lense colors and keep notes.

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I thought the targets were harder to see on some of the west banks then on the east banks. I believe the reason is that the ground in front of the west traps was higher then the ground level where you stand. Therefore the target is going uphill against the dirt/grass background and is harder to pickup before it reaches the sky/tree background. The ground level on the east banks is lower then the trap level and the targets come out with more visability. If they lowered teh ground in front of the west traps it would be easier to pick themup. Just another opinion. motordoc

8. Robb

Robb Member

It is my understanding that after they cut the wheat that ground will be in grass forever.

9. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

I don't think the targets were the "NY style" paint job. They were just the plain old "orange dome" target. I maybe wrong!! Maybe somebody from the Ohio ATA can tell us.

Ron Burdick

10. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Me and my buddys shot on bank 4 more than once and had no trouble seeing them at all.

11. AlanM

AlanM Member

Shot bank 5 and had a little trouble seeing them until I changed my lense color to a lighter shade and the they were like silver dollars out there. I had no complaints about the targets, they just seemed to float and say come and get me if you can. The only problem was the wind and the sun going behind a cloud, but it is an outside sport.

Alan

12. Tjack

Tjack TS Member

You gotta ask your self, Were do the Big Dogs shoot?? Were are the best scores broke?? Answer: East Bank.

13. Rick Jordon

Rick Jordon TS Member

Seems like there were a lot of 200s shot on saturday when folks had to shoot on both sides.

14. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

I shot the whole program,all over the place and I also saw the top shooters all over the place. I shot like crap but it sure was not place's fault. It is a great place and I did not see the targets the best but I feel I was just not looking as I should ,as a lot of people broke good scores and they were not all All American's.

Terry Dean

15. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Tjack seems to be on other posts complaining too. I seen the "Big Dogs" shoot on both ends and it didn't bother them. Good scores were shot on both ends.I agree with Rick and Terry on this one. Were you even there Tjack?

16. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I had a very difficult time picking up the targets as they left the house. Not sure of the reason. The facility is top notch though, no complaint there.
    A lot of good scores were shot so apparently a lot of shooters did see them very well. My congrats to all those. Nubs Wagner.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Terry Dean - I think you said above that you did not look as good as you should look. That could also apply to some others on this site.

Pat Ireland

18. hoot619

hoot619 Member

As a new trap shooter I am keeping track of all the excuses of not shooting well,hopefully when I start shooting better I can start using them. Now I am just learning and know I will have my ups and downs. But now have EXCUSES for it.
    Ken

19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Its nice or not nice to know others had problems with targets at Ohio state shoot.

I certainly cant complain about the facility. I shoot practice on Saturdays there but my first 100 registered in 20 yrs. was a wash.

I shot the Handicap Wednesday at 23 yd. The wind made it very interesting but I used to shoot high targets fairly well.

I do have a bag of excuses. Using my old prescription glasses, gunstock loosened after the first 25,used strange gun last 75,............... or just getting too old????????

However still had a good time, talked to many old friends.

Ill be back. Regards.....gerald

20. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Big Papa...well said !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.