1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OHIO STATE SHOOT - THANKS FOR A GREAT TIME

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BIG PAPA, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

I am not sure what to say other than a BIG THANK YOU to the OSTA Directors, the Fishburn family and friends for the hospitality, all of the young folks who worked, the line supervisors, wonderful clean facilities, great food, super hog roast and list goes on and on for conducting an outstanding 125th Ohio State Trapshoot. Most of these folks worked 12 to 15 hours a day, every day. Practice traps open at 7 AM. I do not need an alarm clock. My campsite was located close enough to the practice traps that the shooters at 7AM would wake me up. LOL!! Shooting began promptly at 8 AM and the shootoff’s being run just as fast as the qualifiers were determined. I am sure there are a lot of folks who think this type of event “just happens”, which is not the case. It takes many hours for a year to get everything in place. Then there are always the “unplanned” items that just seem to jump up and get you. Think about all of the hour’s work it takes to get over 70 vendors on the grounds. Thanks to the many sponsor’s who donated large items as special items for all of the shooters to attempt to win. What about the two new vendor buildings. They are just super with almost every one of them having a vendor in place.

The Hall of Fame building is just outstanding. A special thanks to those folks who either donated or put on lone memerobia for all of us to see. The items included some really neat stuff for every one to see. The interviews with various folks being shown in the Hall of Fame were priceless, especially the stories with Mr. George Snellenberger. For those of us who have the privilege of knowing George, his stories of the good ole days are one of a kind. Listening to him tell stories about trapshooting from back in the 50’s and 60’s are really fun to listen too. I am not sure there was anyone of the grounds who did not visit the area. The area was full every time I stopped in to take another look.

Again, THANK YOU to everyone who just made this past week a real trapshooting pleasure for many of us!

2. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Last year,

Hearing George Snellenberg tell me stories of the past was like being there in person. I could not make the Stae shoot this year, but will be at the Cardinal Classic and camping close to George and Jax. I can't wait to hear more of his evening stories. I only hope Jacque is carrying a tape recorder around when he starts one of his stories. Tthey are priceless to anyone who wants to know the history of our sport.

Dave in SC

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I agree with big papa. The shoot was fantastic BUT the weather was poor and the wind high. Other then that the fun factor was there. Motordoc

4. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

We were "very" impressed with everything we seen. What a great place it's turning out to be & I know it will be even nicer next year. We will be back. Wayne & Mary Downham / Camden, IN

5. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

Motordoc, I was obvious that someone other than Roger Brenner was in charge of the weather. When Roger is responsible for the weather, it always turns out very good. Just think of it this way, if the sun had been shining and there was no wind blowing they could still be shooting off!!!! There are always some folks who do not know the wind was blowing!! LOL.

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

OT, but a Sub Jr. breaks 100 straight in caps and nobody is congratulating him on this site? Deserves some publicity.

7. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

870, The reason I started this tread was to Thank a lot of folks for their many hours of hard work to make it a lot of fun for some of us who got to play. If you attended the shoot and would like to add some comments please do. By the way, in watch event did the subjr break the 100 straight in the caps? RJS website list of winners does not show where any subjr broke or won any cap event with 100 straight. Maybe you could provide the information.

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Papa:

Certainly didn't mean to step on your toes. Just thought it was a pretty big deal that's all.

Blaser Handicap FYI.

9. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

I looked again at RJS website list of winners. The SJR winner for the Blaser caps was from PA with a score of 95. Although, the NR CHAMPION was Trevor Parker from NY. I have no idea if this person is a SJ or not. It really does not make any difference. The SUPER neat thing is breaking the 100 whether you are SJ, SV or VET etc. It would be nice if someone who knows this person would maybe start a thread.

10. Robb

Robb Member

Harold Holmer broke 100 in event 7. Congrats.

Any 100 in caps is a big deal to me.

11. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

I believe that was Harold's first 100 staight in any event. Harold is always an interesting guy to talk with. I saw his trophy and 100 straight pin the other day at the shoot. It is always a pleasure to break them all especially in the caps.

12. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

I watched 14 year old Trevor Parker break his 100 straight in the caps. He was on the same squad as my son. Evidently he came to the shoot with some friends, and it was a big surprise for them to see him break them all. He looked a little nervous the last 10 or 15 (who wouldn't be), but he hung in there and broke them all.

Joe Smoke

13. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

THANKS JOE SMOKE for the information. It is even exciting to watch these SJ's when they do something like that. It is always a pleasure to see these kids do well. The boys from Williams County (including your son) shot well a few days. I saw there name's on the TV screens. How about giving us an update on how your local kids done. I think you as a proud parent are entitled to share words of joy with us. Please. I wish RJS website would provide a little more info for example who won the gun, car etc. I would like to know who won the Champion of Champion's races and their scores. None of that information is listed in the winners group of info. I would be very easy for him to include that information. Are you and boys going to be in Michigan anytime this week?

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

15. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

It was a great shoot and the one I enjoy the most every year. It is getting bigger and better with lots of new vendors

Great prizes.

Terry.

16. plaw

plaw Active Member

the new buildings are great and its neat how they put rest rooms in the middle of each unit, I have been the last 4 yrs and just enjoy the heck out of it..down side it was to cold to enjoy eating ice cream!!

17. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Plaw, are you nuts! Too cold? You sissy.

18. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

Big Papa-
    We had some real good results from the youth at Williams County, Ohio. Tyler Johnson was the big winner, with 2 Jr Handicap wins, 1 handicap RU, 1 Doubles win, a HOA Jr and HAA Jr. He also won Champion of Champions Jr Doubles, and ran his first 100 straight in the SCTP championship Monday.

Celena Speith won the Jr Champion of Champions Singles with a 188.

Son Brad earned his first yard (WOOHOO!) in the Rio Handicap with a 97. I only got to see the last 5 targets there- maybe that was why he did so well?

Our young guns came in 2nd in the SCTP Open division and received medals.

I also got to do the mid-day radio farm report on location with Dale Minyo from Ohio Ag Net on Monday, the youth SCTP day. Dale has a son Ryan that made the All Ohio team as a sub jr last year. We talked a little farming but also some trap shooting. Dale gave t-shirts to all in attendance, it was a lot of fun.

I shot for the Chevy, but they threw me a cast iron bird the 4th one out........

Joe Smoke

19. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

Joe Smoke, all of those hours of hard work you fellows have been putting in for many years finally paid off. Just think, many years from now those boys will be telling their grand kids how you would work with them and how many times you took them trapshooting. It is well worth the time and money. IT WILL PAY BIG DIVIDENDS SOME DAY!

20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

PLAW It never gets too cold to enjoy eating icecream. Oldtimer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.