1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio State Shoot? or PA State Shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 700X-user, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Which state shoot has the larger # of gun vendors/dealers? I live about the same distance from both shoots. Just trying to figure out which one to go to.

I sure miss Vandalia.

Ed

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Check your private messages Ed. Tom Rhoads

3. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Why not go to both?

4. 700X-user

700X-user Member

I would like to go to both! I've been out of work since Feb. I am just looking for the most bang for my buck. I have shot at both Marengo and Elysburg, but I have never been to the state shoots. Thanks!

5. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Atleast in Ohio the shoot is near main interstates instead of out in the boonies.

6. 700X-user

700X-user Member

7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I went to the Keystone shoot in Elysburg, PA on Saturday. I saw only two gun vendors there, Allems and Higrade Shooters Supply.

8. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

As a PA resident, I feel 100% compelled to attend my home State Tournament. HOWEVER -- were my decision based more upon the facility (itself) ; vendors ; food, etc - the nod would go to Ohio.

The shooting grounds in Marengo offers a greater "fairness" for all competitors, given the fact that the trapline is just that - a LINE. There are simply TOO MANY different backgrounds and field discrepancies at the homegrounds in Elsyburg, PA. When you factor the ever-present wind and its changing directions, as well as the positioning of the sun relative to the field into the equation, it becomes even more inequitable --depending which bank you shoot upon.

PA offers pre-squadding, which is advertised as a "first-come, first served" option. HOWEVER (again) -- when I see the SAME shooters on the SAME banks -- event after event ; year after year.........it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what is taking place with their "first-come" pre-squadding. The BIG GUNS and office personnel will invariably be on banks 2 & 3 for singles and handicap, and (usually) on bank 10 for doubles -- when the sun is directly behind the shooters.

And before I get a multitude of replies calling me some sort of "cry-baby", I'll offer this challenge...................either make pre-squadding for major tournaments a public event, allowing anyone the opportunity to witness the "first-come" procedure OR go to a rotating-bank system for the shoots held there.

AND -- to those who staunchly defend the current system by saying a rotating-bank system is too complicated, I offer this..........how difficult is it to draw a number (at random) each day, which you simply ADD to your existing bank number ? The highest bank number at Elysburg is 12, and the highest number you could possibly draw is 11. If anyone needs me to do the math for them, I would be happy to do so.

Immediately after drawing the random number, it would be announced - and printed bank revisions would be made available in the clubhouse and upon all bulletin boards - where anyone planning to compete could easily view the information. After all -- computers and printers are part of most people's everyday world......

In events that feature shoot-offs based upon the drawing of a random number, such as the Krieghoff Handicap, it seems to work quite well. Shoot management draws a random number ; makes an announcement over the public address system ; shooters hear said announcment ; shooters report to the properly-designated trap number.......................

I will be the first to acknowledge the fact that the shooters with the most ability will always shoot the best scores -- regardless of where they compete. I am just not certain that the results would be quite the same, were the BIG GUNS and office personnel required to take their chances on bank assignments - as the "average JOE" shooters are.

t-bar thanked this.
  9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Pretty good assessment of the PA system.

It would also be a nice gesture if PA would award decent trophies too (considering the amount of their annual ATA refund).

Other than that, Elysburg is a great place to shoot.

Curt

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There were more than two gun vendors at the Keystone Open (you missed Joel Etchen for one) and there will be a lot more at the state shoot.

I agree with the presquadding assessment. In the days before presquadding.com, I was at the squadding windows when they opened the Friday evening prior to the first day of the state shoot. I was the first person to one of the windows two years in a row and although I supposedly was one of the first three people to be served, I was told both times that there were no squads available on banks 1, 2 or 3 for the entire nine-day duration of the shoot. Certainly more squads were added later on, but you had to be there at the right moment to get one.

Targets can be a little challenging at Elysburg due to the mountainside terrain's breezes but it's nothing to fret about. Personally, I've come to like the lower east-facing line of traps best (banks 9-12) and there always seems to be squads available there.

One thing almost nowhere else can offer is the don't-miss-a-beat way PSSA manager Chuck Fritzges runs the shoots. An 8:00 starting time means just that.

Ed

11. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Yeah, now if they could just get the damn practice traps opened up at the advertised times Ed. Each year it gets worse and worse (later). That plus the inability for us common-folk to get on a good bank to shoot. Doubles are a challenge on the upper banks when dealing with the sun late in the day, whereas bank 10 sure would be nice.

Given all that, a trip to Ohio instead seems to make more sense all the time.

Respectfully,

Jon Reitz

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I hear ya, Jon - been hearing that for years but until it has a noticeable effect on entries, I don't see any changes forthcoming.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pa state shoot

pssatrap to make bank 6 practice traps